Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Helen Balusik: Aug. 31, 1933 Phillips, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a very nice weekend. Mine was too short. I'm no fan of working Saturdays or two hours earlier on a Monday. Too much work and not enough time or people to get things done right. I just hope things ease up soon.
Enough whining, it's been awhile since there was a letter from Helen, so here it is:






As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

                    Phillips, Wis.
                     Aug. 30-33
Dear Howard:-
   How are you all
this time, I wonder?
I have been home
since first of June &
so I happened to
notice there was a
Xmas card from you
here. Its funny my
father didn't mail
it to me when I was
away. Have been
thinking of dropping
you a line since but
somehow always let
it go by.
How are you behaving
now adays. Am
wondering if you
still are single or

a married man?
In case you are not
 married- I know of
a lonely girl that I
would like you to
meet sometime.
She is planning on
going to the city soon
but in case you
would like to write
to her then why I
could get the address
for you.
I was over there a
few days ago &
she said how she
hates to go back to
the city- & then some
one mentioned why
don't you find a
farmer & get married
then you can live

         2
out here & not have
to be going back & forth
to the city. So I thought
if I could only find
a partner for her &
make her happy?
What do you think
about it? I haven't
told her about you
until I see what you
say? Would be
lovely if you & her
settled around here
somewhere then I
sure would be over
real often. I don't
really know how old
she is but must be
about thirty two or so
to my idea- Is quite
tall- blue eyes &
weighs about 150 lbs.

a Swedish girl so you
see both of you are of
the same nationality.
I suppose you have
a nice gal spotted by
now & its too late
to disturb you, is it
not?
Do you know this
Mildred Bjorkland?
She teaches our school
this year for the second
time & she says what
fun you folks have
around there going
to parties_ She is
quite gay isn't she,
altho I haven't met
her personally.
Have you been
to the World's Fair

         3
yet Howard? i hope
to get back in time
this fall so I can go-
Have to go by myself
since no one else
offers to take me (Ha Ha)
I have often thought
of you since we quit
writing & wondered
how you were.
I suppose by now
you have a big car
all of your own
am I not right?
I am baking bread
this afternoon so
I can do some
writing in between
time!
Are you coming to
the fair to Phillips

next week? I suppose
I will be there as
usual. We usually go
on a Thursday night
& Friday- would
like to see you out
there too- can you
make it?
Well Howard, if
you are interested
in meeting my friend
some time, will you
write or write
anyhow & tell me
how you are be behaving
won't you?
       I remain
    your old friend
     Helen Balusik

it has been awhile since there was a letter from her. She must have been spending time in Chicago. I wonder what she did while she was there.
I wonder if Grandpa ever met her friend. I do wonder how tall she was.
I think Grandpa did go to the Worlds Fair that year.
I'm sure he went to the Phillips Fair also.
As for him behaving, that's still up in the air.
I do wonder why her father never sent the Xmas card to her but still saved it for when she came back.

Here is a story from the scrap book. Thursday, march 19, 1936. from The Milwaukee Journal:

Very interesting story. Real news or fake?

Here is a joke for the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs" 1956:

Caught in the act.

Finally, here is a random picture:

Grandma Miller's 88th birthday 1959.

I wonder if I ever met her?

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a good week.
Don't forget to drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment