Friday, April 20, 2018

Marie Johnson: Sept. 21, 1933; Prentice, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Mine was uneventful. I'm just so glad that finally the temps are starting to get warmer. I so look forward to the snow melting totally away. Plus I do not have to work on Saturday. Yeah for me!
Anyway, here is a letter from Marie Johnson:



As always, for those of you that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

                  Prentice Wis
                   Sept. 21, 1933
Dear Unknown Friend:
                               I received your
letter was surprised, but never-
theless I enjoyed getting it.
Well first of all I will describe
myself. I am not such a little
girl as Helen. I am tall or other
words big. Have dark brown
hair blue eyes. Was born and
raised here, but have spent
number of years in Chicago.
Have been home two months
this summer. I am a milliner,
and business has been so slow,
so rather working part time I
spent it at home.
Expect to go back any day. Perhaps

Saturday. Fell bad Helen didn't
fix this up before, but we could
arrange to meet. I have a telephone
"number 139731 Prentice" If you have
a car it won't be difficult to
come up.
I don't dance either, but enjoy shows,
and like parties and in general
like a good time.
I have known Helen a long
time and always enjoy to be with
her as she is full of fun.
I live miles north of
Prentice on the old north
highway 13. and a quarter of
a mile west from the Enterprise
school. first house to your
right after crossing the rail-
road track. Or perhaps you

rather call me up.
I have number of friends in
Westboro so have been down there
couple of times this summer.
Well be very anxious to hear
from you again. I did enjoy your
letter, and got a kick out of wirting
to a unknown friend.
                      Your unknown friend
                                 Marie

I do wonder how big she was. I hope she was able to find that special someone.
I also wonder if he checked her before the next letter.
I look forward to learning more about her.

Here is a story from March 19, 1936 from The Milwaukee Journal:


I wonder how often this problem had then and if it is still going on today. Or have laws been passed that have helped protect the young fish.

Here is a joke from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs". 1956:

So true.

Finally, a random picture:

No idea when this was taken. it looks like they were starting to clear a new area of land.

Well, that's all have to share with you today.
I hope you have a very nice weekend. I know mine will be.
Don't forget to drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment