Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Helen Balusik: Sept. 18, 1933 Phillips, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a better weekend then we had here. That is is you don't live in Wisconsin. I think everywhere in Wisconsin set new records for snow fall for this time of year. I want to say that the snow is done but I think there might be more coming on Wednesday. All I can say is, no hiking for me for a longer time then I was planning. At this rate it will be till the end of May before things will be just right for me to start.
Oh well, enough whining, here is the next letter from Helen:




As always, for of you that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

                 Phillips, Wis.
                  Monday A.M.
Dear Howard:-
  Am sorry I didn't
get around to answer
because I was waiting
to see if I could see
this girl friend I was
telling you about .
Well did you go see
the fair the other week?
Didn't see you any
where. I was there
only on Thursday.
It wasn't so bad
after all, did you think
so?
My brother went to
Chicago Saturday

morning to see the
fair & visit with
my sister during
his vacation.
well, Howard my
girl friend wants you
to write first, you know
the girls feel its the
man's duty to do that.
So won't you do that
Howard?
You perhaps would
like her for I think
a lot of her- She is
a very fine girl- a
good cook & very
comical- You wouldn't
be lonesome with
her company I'm sure.

            2
I told her about you
but I never said how
we got aquainted so
if I were you I wouldn't
tell her either. I just
said we met through
other friends. She is
very interested & is
anxious to hear from
you- so be sure & write
this week for she is
going away around
Saturday, will you
do that?
Well Howard I must
quit or else I will
miss the mail man
& then you will have
to wait longer.

So be good boy &
write again, won't
you & let me know
if you wrote to her
will you?
   So by by
     Your old friend
            Helen
Here is the address
Miss Marie Johnson
    Prentice,
                  Wis
R#2
(tell her all about your
self & describe your
self. see?)  She likes them
                     tall like you are.

It sounds like she is really trying to find someone for her friend.
There are a few letter coming up from Marie and Helen.
I have not read them in awhile so I will learn about them the same time you do.

Here is a story from march 19, 1933, The Milwaukee Journal:

I sure do hope they got Herman back.
I do wonder what the story is behind having a skull named "Herman". And how it got to be their Pride and joy.

Here is a joke from "Bedtime Laughs" 1956:

What would be the difference between pouring succotash or spinach on someone?

Finally, here is a random picture:

It says, "Freddie". No clue who he is or who he graduated with.

 Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment