Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Helen Balusik: Sept. 21, 1933; Phillips, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. I did. I even took a couple of walks down the and back. About 2 miles each time. I so want to start going into the woods. It finally feels like spring. There better not be anymore set backs.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Helen:





As always, for those of you that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

                 Phillips, Wis.
                Sept 20-33
Dear Howard:-
   Was glad to hear
from you so will
be prompt & do my
part in answering.
Am glad you wrote
to your girl friend. I'm
sure she will answer
real soon.
I saw her last night
& she asked how
soon you will write
but I told her I didn't
know- she just had
to have patience &
wait. So she said
she was going to

look for the mail
man every day.
So be a good boy &
write often to her,
won't you Howard?
I guess she gets lone
some for a man's
company.
Yes it is one of those
girls that live in
Hacketh that you
asked. They have three
girls & all of them
are as nice as can
be, but I don't know
any of their ages-
Perhaps you would
like them all as
much as I do if

           2
you were acquainted.
My sister & I think
them the best of our
girl friends. I wouldn't
want you to be writing
to someone that I
thought wasn't much
good. So I hope you
& Marie learn to
like each other by &
by. Maybe you are
real particular in
the sort of girl you
would like, are you?
Wish I knew what
type you do like-
In case you run
out of work you
know we have

the rest of this week
to pick potatoes so
you'll know where to
go, won't you? I
suppose you have
plenty to pick at your
place. Maybe Marie
would need some
help picking spuds.
If she invites you
don't refuse to come.
Well, I'll have to
quit now for I
feel pretty tired after
working all day-
Good to sleep on a
cool night like this.
wasn't last night
terribly windy?

          3.
So let me hear from
you again, won't
you- I wonder if
your girl friend will
answer right away
well, she said she
would so I guess you
won't have to wait
so long for an answer.
  So be good & to
your new gal too.
    Your friend
          Helen

Boy she is really trying to get them hooked up. I do wonder if she was a good match maker.
 Wonder how many potatoes they got that year.
It does sound like a normal fall at that time.

Here is a story from the scrap book March 19, 1936 The Milwaukee Journal:

I wonder if there was ever a reason gave for it. I thought maybe it was Easter time. But Easter was April 12th that year.

Here is a joke from the the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs" 1956:

I'm not sure how to respond to that. Just how do you dent a steak so bad it can't be sent back?

Finally, here is a random picture:

No idea who this is. It might have been taken in 1958. Someones classmate.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a very nice week.
Don't forget to drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment