Friday, May 4, 2018

E. Halverson: Dec. 6, 1933; Mason, Wis

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a very good week. Mine was uneventful, as usual. I will have a nice two day weekend with no work. it is also our youngest daughters birthday. The big 30. It's hard to believe my girls are that old. I know I should feel older but I don't. I try not to act my age. it does keep me young.
Anyway, here is a letter from I think a sister of Mayme:



As always, for those that fine it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

                 Mason Wisc.
                December 6, 1933
Dear Cousin Howard;
   Got your letter & was
glad to here from you
Tell Anna & Hanna hello
from me please- Guess I'll
add a few lines unto this
too. How are you kids getting
along? we're pretty good at
present.
  You said something
about wanting a house
keeper. I've been out working
quite a bite, but Gramps
needs me home now so
I'll have to stay home. But
Mayme can come down
there. She ought to be able
to do the house work &
cooking & other small
things.

If you want her you
come & get her will you?
come as soon as you
can because she wants
to go so bad & wants to
be down there for Xmas.
About paying her, you
can give her any thing
you want that's for you to
decide. I think she can
justisfy for the job
how about it?
  Gee are we ever having
some weather for December
Hope we never get any
snow. Its pretty cold out
nites though.
  Have a lot of work
to do to-day so I'll have

to pull the hook out
and get busy. Wha ja
think?
  Come down as soon
as you can you both
have a care haven't you.
It would be a nice
trip also, to come & get
your house keeper.
I'm making bread,
cake & cookies to day come
down and have a bite
please.
 Srut every one I know
Love
     Mae, Ede & Gramps.
 Write & come down.

Now I'm not sure which one wrote this letter. But it sounds like they really want to get Mayme out of the house and soon. I wonder if Grandpa ever got a housekeeper at that time.
It does sound like they didn't have much for snow at that time but it was cold.

Here is a picture from the scrap book. March 19, 1936; The Milwaukee Journal:

This is an artist's conception of a scene at the railroad bridge over the Conemaugh river near the Cambria iron works during the original Johnstown flood of 1889, when 2,235 lives were lost. The bridge caused an ice jam and the effect was devastating when the flood water and bridge went out together. The disaster of 47 years ago was recalled by the current flood in western Pennsylvania.

I do wonder how many times over the years that this area flooded.

Here is a joke from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs" 1956:

I wonder if this is still the case today?

Finally, here is a random picture:

No idea when this was taken. But I think the one on the left might be Grandma.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a very nice weekend.
Don't forget to drop by again soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment