Friday, May 18, 2018

Helen Balusik: Feb. 26, 1934; Evanston, Ill

Dear Friends,
I hope everyone had a good week. Mine was very uneventful. I am looking forward to the weekend. It sounds like it might rain on Saturday, which we need. Weather permitting, the husband and I might go hiking again. But we will see.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Helen:





 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here what I think it says:

                   Evanston
                  Friday night
Dear Howard:-
   Here I am in my room
hugging the radiator for
its so blame cold in
here.
I better get after answering
letters or else I will have
all to do at once.
well what have you
been doing lately to
amuse yourself?
Last Sunday I was off
from noon time so
I went to see the picture
"Little Women" and I
liked it so well. Its
sad in certain parts &

then its comical. You better go
and see it if it ever gets
that far.
  Yesterday I was off so I took
a trip to Chicago & then to Oak
Park to my sisters place. Its
quite a ride from here.
You bet I would have come
to your partys last summer
but you see now its too late
to go- Ha Ha!
My girl friend & I were to
a Valentines Party. Had a nice
time but we came so late
for we had to get through
with our work first.
Sat. night- you know last nite
as I was writing I fell asleep so
I had to get ready & go to bed so
I'll have to finish tonight.
My folks are having a party
downstairs so I'm glad I can
be here by my lone self. I was
busy all day cooking & baking
Wish you were here for a slice
of the angel's food cake I made
Wonder if you would like it.
Tomorrow I am off again
so don't know what I will do
yet altho I love to go to church

for young peoples meetings.
You know they have some
wonderful singers in some of
the churches that I almost
envy their voices. I think
its grand if a person can sing
or else play don't you?
 Do you have music at your
partys, and so you dance?
I use to dance years ago,
but I don't anymore & I don't
think I would know how
either.
  Wonder what you are doing

                  2
tonight- out with some
sweet little gal, Howard?
Wish I could peek & see.
I am just like an
old maid sitting up
here in a comfortable
chair by the heat instead
of being out on a
Saturday night. But gee
a person feels tired after
working all day long &
standing on your feet.
Well Howard I think
I shall leave you now
somehow I have
nothing of interest to
write about tonight.

So lets hope your letter
isn't as short like mine-
it isn't a romantic
night out tonight at
all like it was when
I wrote the last time.
Now its cold out doors
almost freezing point.
I will retire now &
I'm hoping for an
early reply as usual
I didn't wait to long
with my answer did I?
          Well by by
          & be good
           Your Pal
             Helen

Well, it was cold outside. A typical winter time.
The movie "Little Women" I have heard of and I think I may have seen this one. And I have read the book. How about you?
It does sound like she has been keeping herself very busy with different things.
There are always amazing singers to be found in most churches.

Here is story from Thursday, March 19, 1936 from The Milwaukee Journal:

One of the stories about the flood that was happening at that time at Johnstown, Pa.

Here is a story from Friday, July 22, 1927 from The Milwuakee Journal:

The head line for this story is to big to fit right in my scanner
This is the head line "TWO GIRLS BURNED TO DEATH
                                 AS BOLT SETS FIRE AT OGEMA"

I wonder for how long this story was talked about?

Finally, here is a random picture:

I thought with graduation coming up in many places, I would share a senior picture of someone from a time gone by.
Bob from the class of 1960.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will find yourself coming back again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment