Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Helen Balusik: March 5, 1934; Evanston Ill.

Dear Friends,
How was your weekend? Mine was just right. Saturday I had to do housework. Sunday, we went hiking. it was a nice day for a hike. We only got a few ticks on us. But every time I think of them I get a little itchy. According to our pedometer we went 8.8 miles. Not sure if we will go next weekend. It depends on a number things that could be going on.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Helen:



As always, those that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

               Evenaton, Ill.
              Friday Night
Dear Howard:-
     You know I thought
your letter was so nice
that I can't help but get
busy and answer tonight.
I have written a long one to
my sister so now I don't
know if I will have any
thing of interest to tell you.
You made me laugh
when you ask for a picture
of me. Wonder what you
would do with it. I suppose
have a good hearty laugh
again, is that it? I would
enclose a snapshot if I
knew I could get one of
you sometime, how about
it Howard?
Do you mean to say
you wrote your letter

before six in the morning? Well
how ambitious- I never would
get time to write at that time.
This morning I had to get up
an hour earlier to wash up the
stack of dishes left from yesterday
You see I was out so every body
else is afraid of ruining the
looks of their hands. Sometimes
I feel like throwing every dish
out through the door. That's the
way it is when your a slave
for some one else. But I always
think to myself well it won't
last for ever I hope. Maybe
some day some one will be foolish
enough to rescue me from working
out for someone else (Ha Ha) but
I wonder???
So tomorrow night is a party
at your house. I would give
anything to be there- but do
you guarantee  good time?
Say Howard, seeing you do so
much cooking, I was going to ask
you about deserts, what do you
think is very good. I never
know what to make for these
people. They only want good things
to eat & I don't know how to make
them. I thought maybe you could
give me some ideas on that.

I still have your Valentine sitting on
my dresser it looks so nice there-
Reminds me of good hearted "Howard"
way out in Ogema. I have often
heard what a good heart you have
so don't let anyone steal it from
you or either ruin it. For a good
heart means a lot these days.
I wish I wasn't so sleepy so I could
keep on scribbling but you will
have plenty to read of this I think.
How is Mildred Bjorkland? I suppose
you will be happy tomorrow night when
you see all the young ladies again????
       Time for little kids like me
            to go to sleep. By By and be good
                       Your Pal Helen
When are those
x's payable
you send
??

Not to much here. A lot of hinting going on. Don't you think?
I do wonder what the Valentine looked like that she liked it so much.
I wonder if Grandpa was seeing Mildred?

Here is a story from Thursday, March 19, 1936 from The Milwaukee Journal:

Must have been a very exciting arrest.

Here is a story from Tuesday, January 24, 1961 from I think The Evening Telegram, Superior, Wisconsin:

I thought with the latest royal wedding this was an interesting story.

Finally, here is a random picture:

(written on the back)
Mrs. Anderson receiving gift from Mr. Nelson at at farewell party May 29, 1960

I wonder what the gift was.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment