Friday, May 11, 2018

Helen; Jan. 17, 1934; Evanston, Ill.

Dear Friends,
Well, it's the end of yet another week, almost. I volunteered to work Saturday. Not sure why I did it. Oh well. I just hope the rest of the weekend will go smoothly.
Anyway, here is the first letter from 1934. It is from  a Helen:



 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

                  Evanston Ill.
                   Jan. 15-'34
Dear Howard:-
   Was glad to get your
letter & was surprised
to see you still thought
of me When you were
writing.
I should like to scold
you for not answering
sooner but I will
forgive you this time
hows that?
Well Howard, you should
worry if Marie didn't
write- there are plenty
pebbles on the beach
yet, don't you think?

I have seen her twice since
I am here but honestly she
didn't say a word about
meeting you or how she liked
you or anything, and she
doesn't know that you & I
write- so don't tell her either.
Do you know Mildred Bjorkland?
She spend her Xmas vacation
here in the city so I had the
privilege of meeting her one
night at my sisters place.
My brother has kind of a case
on her- and really I wouldn't
mind having her for a sister
in law (Ha Ha) Good thing she
doesn't hear me or I might
get slap-
Yes, I had a very lovely Xmas
only was kind of blue.
I like my job real well. Mrs. &
I get along well so far. I wish
you could get a glimpse of her
she sure is good looking. The
men folks all like her I wonder
if you would.
I wish you could come over
tomorrow & help me iron
for I have so much ironing

to do. I suppose you know how
alright.
Today was like a spring day
out, about 40 degrees above &
no snow. I suppose in April
we will make up for this nice
weather.
Well Howard, be good to your
self and when you have
time drop me a line, won't
you
           Till then I remain
             Your friend
                  Helen

 I think this is Helen Balusik. If it is her I wonder how long and how often she is in Evanston, Ill.
She is still trying to get Grandpa hooked up with someone.
I wonder if her brother got together with Mildred.
It sounds like the year was starting up on the warm side. I wonder how long it lasted?
I wonder if Grandpa was good at ironing?

Here is a story from March 19, 1936 from The Milwaukee Journal:

Privately owned power plants were cheaper then community owned.
Now that is something to think about.

Here are a couple of jokes I found from some newspaper:


I do wonder if it was from 1927.
A couple of good chuckles.

Finally, here is a random picture:

Someones class mate from the 50's, I think.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a very nice weekend.
Don't forget to drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment