Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Mayme: Nov. 23, 1933 Mason, Wis.

Dear Friends,
Well I had a good weekend. No dramas. The weather is finally getting warmer. The snow is gone in most places. Now I look forward to things getting green. Still waiting to start hiking. The week is suppose to be nice. So looking forward to spending more time outside.
Anyway, here is a letter from Mayme who claims to be his 3rd cousin:




As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

                     Mason Wisc.
                     November 23, 1933
Dearest Howard:
     Gee thanks just heaps
for the letter was I ever
surprised, gee why don't
you come down sometime
say who is that girl if
its Melba or Ruth Tedlund
they sure must be a
religious Bunch But their
dad don't own a store
he works in one though
or probly you mean
one of the Holms girls
they're dad own a store
   Edith isn't home
now she's in Ashland
and in a day or two she's
leaving for Superior to
hunt for work. Listen
come up here soon &
visit us we'll be looking
for you in a Wk or two
Tell Thomas hello&

send my regards to
all the rest down
there. Who is this fella
who knows a gal up this
way. (Don't show anyone
this letter Burn it up)
  Do you drink or
Smoke? Suppose you don't
or aren't you religious
  Grandpa sends his
regards to you & Tom
   Eating & sleeping
all the time as I
don't go to school any
more.
  You said you
were to Park Falls Did
you see Mrs. Scillen
or her name now
is Mrs. Grandshaw
while you were there
Tell Anna & Hannah
to come up here

sometime also Nilie
Well lets see what
can I do or write about
now. I have been working
a lot lately at the
Doctors wife's place
jag kan ej skriva
mer da fa jag sluta
for denna gongen
Well my Gash for
a swede can't even
write anymore hah hah
lets go get the cows.
Do you want a house
keeper down there?
Sure I know you
do. Alright I'll come
& cook. Bro ock potatoes
har har whats night
God Darnet I can't write

Come on up well go
on a good old fation
srpee he hah
Love & kisses to
my Darling third
cousin
      Love Mayme
My new address is
Mrs Howard Johnson
Westboro Wisc
  Crazy heywhat
Please don't
even show Tom
this letter burn it
emediatly please
heres a Kiss for you
XXX

I think this is the first letter from her. There was a Mamie before.
There is a bit of Swedish. on the third page I was able to translate it.
It says in English:
I can not write more when I stop for this time.
The other one down farther on that page means: "Breads and potatoes".
Some of her other spelling is not so good. But I did leave in a number of them.
So for her comment about burning this letter, I guess Grandpa just forgot as always.

Here is a story from the scrap book; March 19, 1933 From The Milwaukee Journal:

There was some major flooding going on at that time.
The head line of this paper is: "Sagging Dam Perils Johnstown"
It's to big to scan. I will be posting a few more stories based on this event.

Here is a joke from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs":

To bad there are no more phone booth around today. At least not that I know of.

Finally here is a random picture:

Andy Weinzatl, age 5

One of the neighbor kids, I think.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a very good week.
Don't forget to drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment