Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Helen Balusik; Feb. 7, 1934 Evanston, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. For me, we finally started hiking the Ice Age trail again. This time we started over by Cornell. It took longer then it usual does because of the husbands foot. At least now going slower I have more time to notice more things around us.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Helen:




As always, for those of you that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

               Evanston, Ill.
               Monday evening
Dear Howard:-
      You couldn't guess
how late it is and here
I'm beginning to write
letters this hour of the
night. It is almost eleven
o'clock- But I was looking
over the Valentines that
I want to send out & I
came across your letter
so I thought maybe I
can squeeze in a few
minutes & write you
a note before I turn the
lights out.
Thanks for the nice letter
only one fault with it
was that it was so very
short- You didn't happen
to run out of paper because
you had the other sides
unwritten but maybe you

             2
run short of ink- is that
it? Ha Ha!
I liked the way you ended
you letter "Your friend
forever". did you really
mean it when you wrote.
I was just thinking to
myself here of all the
parties that you are having
all the time & you didn't
invite me once to any
of them- Now isn't that
mean??-? If I would
have known that last
summer I would have
purposely made some
one take me down there
to one of them. I'm sure
my brother would have
gone if I would have.
So remember, don't forget
to invite me when I'm back
in Phillips, will you ?????
I am reading a book
called "Shepherd of the Hills"

                3
and I sure do enjoy it.
Saturday Night I went to
a show called "Footlight
Parade" but i didn't care
so much for the picture.
I have seen better ones
then that. I always like
the comedy don't you?
It's grand out doors tonight
the snow is gently falling
& everything looks so
white & lonely - but the
worst part of it is I can't
be out there to enjoy it.
Perhaps if I had some
one to walk arm in arm
with down the street it
would seem more
beautiful (Ha Ha) what do
you say Howard?
  I think its time for me
to keep still & get my
sleep for I sure do need
it.

              4
So you see I did make
my letter longer then
yours but I don't know
how interesting it sounds
when its read over. You'll
have to tell me that.
  Well goodnight &
don't forget to write
to this lonesome bird
will you?
               I remain
                as always
                  Your friend
                      Helen

P.S.
Yes I do see Anna
& Frank N. once
in awhile.


Not a whole lot here. Except she did mention the book "Shepherd of the Hills"
Image result for shepherd of the hills
written by Harold Bell Wright in 1907
A mostly fictional story of mountain folklore and forgiveness.
This novel has been the basis for four films, the first in 1919 also one with John Wayne in it.
It is also an outdoor play in Branson Missouri. There is I think a Shepherd of the Hills Adventure park. Maybe it's something I will have to check out sometime.

The next thing she mentioned was a movie she saw:

 Image result for footlight parade
This musical came out in 1933. It starred James Cagney, Joan Blondell, Ruby Keller and Dick Powell.
I wonder if they show it on TCM. I might have to try and catch it sometime.

Here is a story from March 19, 1936 from The Milwaukee Journal:

Refugees in America. Would they get the same thing today?

Since I have run out of jokes, I've decided to show more old news stories from other papers I have.
Here is one from Friday July 22, 1927 from The Milwaukee Journal:

I wonder when the last veteran took the last toast from this group.

Finally, here is a random picture:


I do wonder what year this was taken. Not sure who this is tho.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
Enjoy your week.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment