Tuesday, May 29, 2018

J.C. Albers: March 8 & 12, 1934; Phillips, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was just right. But it was a little to hot and Monday started out with some rain. We do need the rain tho. Because of the heat we decided not go hiking. Maybe next weekend.
Anyway, here are two letter from J.C. Albers (They were in the same envelope. The second one was written on a postcard):


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

                      Phillips Wis
                      March 7, 1934
Howard H. Johnson
                Ogema
                    Wis
Dear Mr. Johnson
            Rid your letter today. I was
looking in the various books at some kerosene
brooders, I never have had one & I don't know
much about them, does yours have a stovepipe?
I will make you a pretty quilt, star design,
of color fast prints and white, that will be
nice enough for a "company bed". I have a
cream colored cotton bolt that is new that
I would put inside, I'd put plain muslin
back on it so it could be washed. I would
quilt it but I couldn't quilt it very closely
as I wouldn't have time you know.
I made a quilt just like the one I'm offering
to make for you for a lady in Milwaukee
she paid me $11.50 for it last May. & She
finished the quilting as I didn't have time
else I would have had $15.00 I will quilt
yours as much as I did hers tho. enough
for ordinary use, but not enough to stand

frequent hand washing. So I can make
you some other work.
If you don't succeed in selling your incubator
maybe we could get together on that too,
I would either give you work enough
to pay for it or else give you my note for
its price, payable Dec 15th 1934 @ 6%,
will have marketed enough turkeys by
that time to pay my feed bill (if any) and
have something left too.
Or I will rent it from you and guarantee
to take good care of it.
Is your brooder a "Sears" brooder?
I would be glad if you could drive out
but the roads are just terrible. I am going
to town next Saturday but I wouldn't know
you or you me, even if we met. I usually
run in and out at the Dobie hardware &
feed store quite a lot. We might leave word
there if we both happen to be in town, I'll
inquire for you.
                    very Truly Yours
                      Mrs. J.C. Albers
Our little boy age 7 1/2 fell & broke his right
arm Monday P.M. so it will be hard for me
to be away long.

( Here is the second letter)




Dear Mr. Johnson
    I write to let you
know that I am very
anxious to get the brooder
I will make you the
quilt as agreed & then
if you think you didn't
get quite what was for
you we can arrange
the balance later.
I would like very
much to get the incubator
too, if we can get together
on the arrangements.
Hoping you get this
card in time.
           Very Truly
            Mrs. J.C. Albers
What do you hold your
incubator at?

I wonder how long it took this deal to get settled and if everyone was happy with the results.
And if he did get the quilt, how long did it last?

Here are a few stories from Thursday, March 19, 1936 from The Milwaukee Journal:


Just a few court cases that might peek someones interest. I like the shortest court session story the most.

Now here is something different I will start showing:

I will be showing you a few things from this book. They will be the shorter stories of in some cases jokes in this book. I hope you enjoy these stories form November 1950.
Here is the first story:

I do wonder what year this happened in if the woman was wearing a corset.

Finally, here is a random picture:

No idea who they are or when it was taken. I would like to know what secret they are sharing.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a good week.
Don't forget to drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment