Friday, June 29, 2018

Carol Olsen: Aug. 16, 1934; Milwaukee, Wis.

Dear Friends,
Well, I hope you had a good week. Mine was good. It's ending a little on the too hot side though. We did get another hike in on Wednesday, about 6 miles. But it looks like my next week will not start out very good. It sounds like I have to start work 2 hour earlier. Not a good way to start July if you ask me.
Anyway, here is the next letter. It's from a Carol Olsen:






As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:
            1
Hi Howard;
I have often thought of
writing to you, but to tell the
truth, I thought Hattie was
kidding me sorry. I still do
not know if she is, but will
take a chance that she isn't.
A bunch of us kids are
down town, so we thought
we would use some of the
Hotel's Stationary.
This is sort of a funny
letter, writing under these
circumstances.
            2
This last week has been
quite warm, but yesterday
and today has been quite cool.
Next week a bunch of us
girls are planning a beach
party. I suppose as usual
our plans will fall through
hopes heaping they don't
I was out to a party
Saturday nite and had a
nice time considering the
company.
            3
Talk about being ritzy here
we are up in the lobby of
the hotel listening to the
orchestra. Probably I will live
in this hotel up in this room.
Have you been down to
the fair. I haven't but hope to go.
I was out with a fellow
that drives are "Austin" its also
nite. Talk about laughs, you
should have seen me: was a
lot of fun.

The orchestra is playing the
"Chicken Blues". I have got the
blues, but don't know if they
are the "Chicken Blues" or not.
Well what do you do for
excitement? I suppose you are
kept quite busy. I am not working
at the present time. If I do
not get a job pretty soon I am
going back to nursing. I was one
once but quite quit like a
chump.
Talk about men there are
enough here to start one army.
I hope you can read this
writing cause the kids are jiggling
the desk like nobodies business.
              4
There isn't much else to
talk about now. I am all
talked out.
Gee I am getting old. I will
be 23 the end of this month.
Am beginning to feel my age.
I guess the kids are ready
to go now so will have to
close.
Here's hoping you will not
feel feel insulted with this
letter, but Hattie said you
              5
said I should write first. So
here's hoping you will answer
my crazy letter.
Hoping to hear from you
soon.
                  Carol Olsen
In case you care to answer
my address is
Miss Carel Carol Olsen
19oo East Beverly Road
Shanewood
                  Wis.

Well, she was only 23 at the time.
As for where the stationary was from, the hotel is now a Hilton.
As for the song "Chicken Blues", the only song I found is called "Chicken Roost Blues". Not sure if it is the same song. You can find it on YouTube.
I hope this works.
Some of her spelling was a little hard to figure out, but I did the best that I could.
I do hope she meant nursing. But I might have gotten it wrong.
It does sound like she hung out with a kind of rowdy crowd. I just hope they had a lot of fun.
But I do wonder why she chose that moment to write to Grandpa. Usually when your out with your friends, that's the last thing you want to do.
Did Grandpa go to the fair that year?

Here is a story from a newspaper called, "Labor". Washington, D.C. Tuesday, August 28, 1934:


This is a picture of the mayor F.H.La Guardia

Just one of the stories I might be sharing with you.
The head line on this page is:
"PRESIDENT INCREASES WAGES, SHORTENS HOURS FOR 200,000 WORKERS"
Most of the stories from these pages are too big to fit in my scanner.
If anyone wants to see what I can fit, just let me know.

Here is a story from the magazine "Fate" November 1950:

Will this be your next job, "A Snake charmer"?
A little knowledge about Vitamin E.

Finally, a random picture:


I'm not sure if I have shown this one before. I have a couple of them right now in front of me. The two little girls are his daughters. Just think this picture is a hundred years old.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
Oh by the way, it's my birthday today. If you must know how old I am, 56.
Enjoy your weekend.
Come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment