Friday, June 15, 2018

Helen Balusik: April 5, 1934: Evanston, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope everyone had a good week. Mine was nice and quiet, just the way I like it. Well, almost. The lights went out on my on Wednesday morning as I was getting my breakfast going. So I ended up with a very luke warm  tea and oatmeal. No toast. The husband the light came back on around 6am. By the way they went out at 4:15am. It wasn't even storming at that time. The sky was clear. It did storm a few hours earlier though. This weekend is suppose to be on the hot side with possible storms.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Helen:



As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

                    Evanston
                   Tue. evening
Howard Dear:-
    It isn't long ago
since I send you a letter
so will you mind if you
get another one so
soon as this?
Now see the big box of
candy came Monday after
I had mailed you the
letter- and was I
surprised when the mail
man said the package
is for you.
You sure were a dear
to send me them & how
good they are- Yum Yum.
Why didn't you take
some out for yourself
for I sure will gain

waight weight if I eat all of
them by myself. The Mrs. asked
me & who is that from so
I told her from a fellow. She
said some body must think
a lot of you, altho that I
don't know, do I?
How did you spend Easter
did it rain like it did here?
It rained till about three
o'clock then it turned out
to be a grand warm day.
You know today it was
72 in the shade & it felt grand
to have that warm wind
blowing. Seams like winter
lasted so long.
I am all ready for bed now
no one around only can hear
the clock ticking.
How I wish I was out with
some one tonight in the cool
breeze & the birds singing - I
always thought romance was
a wonderful thing don't you?
Maybe I am mistaken (Ha Ha)
Do you like gingerbread
Howard? We had some tonite
for desert & it didn't turn out

good. I often am surprised I
haven't been fired yet for I sure
do make a lot of blunders in
cooking.
Well Howard I am getting
sleepy as usal so I will have
to go whether I want to or not.
  I hope I have a letter
from you this week or
don't I? I always long
for your letters.
         Will say goodnite
            now & someday
         perhaps I can give you a
         nice kiss for all that candy
                       By By Helen
Thank you
very very
much
Howard

I do wonder what kind of candy did he send and how big was the box?
It does kind of sound like she wants a little romance in her life.
I wonder if she was as bad a cook as she like to say about herself.
The weather at that time sounds a lot like what can happen around here. Or maybe it was the beginning of global warming.

Here is a story from The Bee out of Phillips in Price county; Thursday, February 1, 1940:

I thought that with it mentioning my home town I would share this one.

Here is another picture from the same paper:

I thought that celebrating their 49th was worth showing. I wonder how much longer they were able to celebrate their wedding anniversary.

Here is something from the magazine "Fate" November 1950:

 All I can say is, "Smart kid".

Finally a random picture:

No idea when or where as taken. I do wonder who the people in the boat are.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope your weekend started better then mine did today at work. Electricity was out at work for almost 6 hours. So not to much work got done on our shift.
Don't forget to drop by again for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment