Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Helen Balusik: April 15, 1934; Evanston, Ill.

Dear Friends,
How was everyone's weekend? Mine was I little too hot and wet. At least the lights didn't go out at home again. No hiking this weekend.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Helen:



As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                     Evanston
                     Apr 15
Dear Howard:-
   Your nice letter came
the other day & I sure do
enjoy them you can be
sure.
I'm surprised that you
even dreant of me, did
you really? And you
wouldn't even tell me your
dream- now was that
nice?
For a change we are having
some snow today altho
the grass is growing fast.
I have been rather blue
for the past week-worrying
about something. I wonder
if I should tell you.

You see one of the fellas that I use
to go with from home came over
here & he mentioned something
about hitching up some time
this summer, but oh its hard
for me to make up my mind
since I get such sweet letters
from you. You know I just
hate the thought of matrimony
I don't know why- I guess its
because they all say thats when
your troubles begin. wish that
I could always be my own
boss.
Well tomorrow night my folks
are going to a dance, so Howard
don't you want to come over
for awhile? Then I will give
you all the kisses you want
for that candy- would that
be O.K? I can hear you say
no - Just think I will be here
alone excepting for the children-
I often wish there wasn't any
children here for then whenever
they go out I could go too.
oh well perhaps some day
I can go out as much as I
please, don't you think so?

Howard dear, I am sort of sleepy
tonight so I won't be able to
write a longer letter like I had
planned.
So can I hear from you
soon again even tho my
letter is so short I think
of you just the same.
Well by by & be a good
boy, won't you?
           Sincerely
           Helen

Well, I wonder if she ever decided if getting married was right for her or not.
Did she hitch up with the other fella?
I wonder how many children she looked after.

Here is a picture from Friday, March 20, 1936; The Milwaukee Journal:

Every street a river- that was the condition Wednesday in Johnstown, Pa. after its second great flood. This picture made from a chartered airplane, vividly shows how Johnstown is situated in the valley of the Conemaugh river, prey for flood waters pouring from the river's narrow channel.- A.P. wirephoto.

This is one of nine picture from one page.
The headline on this page is:
FLOOD WATERS SWEEP INTO THE OHIO VALLEY AFTER CAUSING DEATH AND DAMAGE IN EASTERN STATES

I thought with all the rain we've been getting around the north woods, I would share more pictures from a flood in the past in another area.

Here is a story from the magazine "Fate" November 1950:


Maybe that explains why we are so messed up today.

Finally, here is a random picture:


This was developed around jun 1964. No idea where it was taken.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope everyone has a very pleasant week.
Don't forget to drop by again soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment