Friday, June 22, 2018

Helen Balusik: April 30, 1934; Evanston, Ill.

Dear Friends,
Well, it's the end of yet another week. It is finally officially Summer. Being in Wisconsin you have to enjoy this time of warm temps. I know I do. I just hope it doesn't get overly hot.
My week was not to bad. I look forward to the weekend. I should be fairly nice, I hope.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Helen:



As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

                   Friday evening
Dear Howard:-
     Well, how are you
these crispy days? Not
so warm is it?
  Your letter came quite
awhile ago but some
times I don't have time
to write- and you don't
mind do you? I'm sure
there are plenty other letters
you get besides.
Howard, I do believe
all that you wrote that
you liked me & all that
because you don't even
know me good only that
we saw each other a couple
of times- I bet if you knew
me better you would

think differently- don't you think
so? This other fellow is bound
to have me say yes to him
before he goes back- so I don't
know what I will do for I
have known him for so long.
I wish I would have known
you better, perhaps then we
would have been closer
pals. I always have longed
for some one that would
truthfully care for me inspite
of my hot temper once in a
while- ha ha!
I bet there are a lot of girls in Ogema
looking at Howard & his farm
if he would only invite them
is isn't that right?
Last night I was to a birthday
party at the Salvation army
hall- most all of it was in
Swedish so I couldn't understand
much of it. Could you? For
your name sounds like you
should be able to.
Gee, I'm so sleepy that I
dropped my pen while I
write this- Wish you were
here to keep me company

for they are gone out.
I wonder what they will do
tomorrow- otherwise I would
go out.
I am sorry I cannot think
of anything else to write.
But you won't mind that
will you Howard.
next time I will try &
write more interesting
then this time.
           Bye Bye
                Me

Every time I read these letters I wish I could have been able to see what he wrote back, but I know I never will.
It sounds like she might have had another man friend she was more interested in. I wonder who he was.
I wonder how hot tempered she was.
I do wish I knew how to speak and understand Swedish. Maybe some day I will find a way to learn it.

Here is a story form The Bee, Thursday, February 1, 1940:

  I wonder what was happening with the Finnish people. Was it here or over there?
Well I ever find the answers/

Here is a story from "Fate" November 1950:

Which old wives tale do you like the most.
The one on the bottom:
Is this something they still use today for solar energy?

Finally, a random picture:

No idea who this is or what year it is from.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope everyone has a very enjoyable weekend.
Don't forget to drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment