Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Ruth Helene: Aug. 13, 1934; Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope everyone had a good weekend. Mine was just right. On Sunday the husband and I went to a Dairy breakfast. On the Gumz farms. We got a late start but we were still fed. The sun was shining and it was a very nice day.
I'm on vacation this week so the husband and I went hiking on Monday. We went to Lincoln county and went 8.88 miles. We started early around 7:10 and got done at 11:50. The bugs did bug us some but not as bad as the last time we went. We could hike more this week but it all depends on him baling hay and the weather.
Anyway, here is a letter from someone named Ruth Helene:


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

                        Chicago, Illinois
                          August 12, 1934
Dear Howard,
  Lois and I arrived home
safely. We had a very
pleasant trip and your candy
tasted so good.
 You certainly did all you
could to make our departure
pleasant and I must say that
you succeeded.
Everything looks so nice at
home. It is so different.
I am sure Arnold would
very much appreciate your

                                  -2-
taking him around and
showing him the country. He
loves the woods. He's not bad
company either.
I would rather you did
not tell Slim that I wrote.
It doesn't concern him at all.
I suppose you will be
working hard threshing tomorrow
and I will be pounding the
keys of my typewriter.
             Sincerely
               Ruth Helene
Don't work too hard.


No clue who she is. But I think she might be originally from the Ogema area, maybe.
Boy he certainly like to give people candy. I do wonder what kind he gave out the most?
I wonder who Slim is? And who is Arnold?
I do hope he had a good threshing day.
I wonder where she worked that she worked with a typewriter.

Here is a story from "The Bee" Thursday, February 1, 1940:

The answers to your questions about milk.
I do wonder about the farmer's share being 43%. What is it today?

Here is a story from "Fate", November 1950:

I wonder how long this story stayed in the news.
What was his sentence for this crime?

Finally, here is a random picture:

Grandpa baling hay in 1969.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a good week.
Come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment