Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Helen Balusik; March 29 & April 1, 1934; Evanston, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a very good weekend. I did. We celebrated our granddaughters 1st Birthday. She even got her own cake to smash. She enjoyed herself. On Sunday the husband and I went for a short hike. Only 2.55 miles. He wanted to bale some hay.How was your weekend?
Anyway, here are two things from Helen:


This is an Easter card.

Here is the second letter:






As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says:

                  Mar. 30-34
                  Evanston
Hello Howard:-
   How are you tonite
I wonder? I feel quite
ambitious so I think
I'll scribble few letters
before I get sleepy.
The Mrs. got herself a
brand new type writer &
so she gave me the
first lesson on it this
afternoon- My, how
I do love them & it
saves time writing.
Maybe some day I
will be rich enough
to get one of my own.
then I'll let you use
it too if you rather

then write.
Yesterday another year was
added unto me so I feel
quite a bit older since I
wrote you last (Ha Ha) But it
happened it was my day off
so I had my hair all fixed
& then in the evening went
to an Easter concert- but it
wasn't so grand- They always
remember to pass the basket
for the collection no matter
what occasion it happens
to be.
Easter day my girl friend &
I are invited to Oak Park
to some friends of mine.
So I'm hoping I get through
in time so we can be there
for supper - how I love some
one else's cooking, but I'm
not good at it at all so I often
said to myself I pity the poor
man that gets me- Ha Ha
For he sure will be slim if
he never was slim before.
Doesn't that sound terrible?
  Yes I have a twin sister
that is married in Phillips.

She lives about two miles away
from my fathers place. She
has to do all his baking &
cleaning while I am gone but
I should think he could be
able to afford & pay her for all
that work. He is very independent
when some one stays at home!
Like last summer all he did
was complain & talked about
others- that I was glad to
get away & go to the city again.
You know this Spring weather
gets me very lonesome for

                 2
fishing & out door sports.
I wonder from one day
to another how long I
will be able to stand it.
I have always wished
I could meet a city
fellow that I would
settle down here rather
then the country but
too I'd hate to give up
country life - I'm so
use to both city & country
that I don't know where
I would like to be.
I always have enjoyed
it because I'm working
& can always have
spending money & go
places where in the
country I'm always

broke & you can't go many
places if you haven't a
beau or a sweety I mean.
I have lots of fudge here in
my room wish you were
near enough so you could
help me with it.
  I hear Mildred's brother
did pass away didn't he?
How old could he have been
it wasn't one of the older boys
was it? I certainly was sorry
to hear that. There were quite
a few from my home town
that went to his funeral.
Yes, those things do happen
sometime & we have to
take it whether it agrees
with us or not.
 Well Howard, I better go
down see how my children
 are behaving for i notice
they have gone out & that
means Helen take care of them
then in case they want
anything.
I am already beginning
to get sleepy I sure am a sleepy

head. Come over & have a visit
with me tonight Howard? I would
make you some hot coffee &
we have some apple pie in
the pantry 0 would that be
O.K.?
I suppose you will get this
until Monday but anyway I
hope you had a very
nice Easter- and think of me
once in awhile for I am lone
some too.
             Well by bye
            and write soon I
            Lovingly H.B. am waiting
                                  for the ready.

It sounds like she is torn between wanting to be a city girl or a country girl. I wonder which life she was able to choose. She sounds like me. I like the country but sometimes I want to live in town.  But not a big city. I like small town life. It can be a little calmer. But it has it's moments too.
I wonder what happened to Mildred's brother.
I wonder how old she was then.

Here is a picture from: Wisconsin REA News, March 1949:

Here Price Co-Op Lineman
Anton Benard climbs up to energize
member Elsome's line. Benard is
connecting the transformer on the
pole to the line with a "hot stick".
The transformer is energized by con-
necting the transformer lead with its
hot line clamp to the 7200 volt pri-
mary wire leading past the Elsome
farm.

I wonder how long he worked for the Co-Op electric company?

Here is a story from "Fate" January 1950:

More about a drug that makes things grow, again.

Finally, here is a random picture:

Jame Swanson age 11.
One of the neighborhood kids.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a very pleasant week.
Don't forget to drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment