Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Anna: Dec. 9, 1924 Marinette, Wis.

Hello Friends,
I hope this letter finds everyone well. me I had an interesting weekend. All I will say is it was a car problem with brakes. I think a guardian angle was looking out for me and placed my youngest daughter and her soon to be husband were behind me. The car was taken to a garage on Monday to fix the issue.
Anyway here is the next letter from Anna. Boy she likes to write.




 It's a little hard to read in spots, so as usual here is what I see.

                      Marinette, Wisconsin
                       Dec 9, 1924
Hello "H. L. C.":-  Junior is sleeping so
I thought I'd write letters when I could
have some peace. I washed to-day and
now all I have to do is watch in dag.
One lucky thing about it I can hang
them inside.
  I bet you are spinning Lizzy to Rib-
Lake quite often now because soon it
will be snowed in. It just poured down
Sunday night. Lot of people sick here
which can be blamed on to the weather.
  I certainly enjoyed your letter Howard
I laughed till I got "unti Magen". It
was short but sweet and hard to beat.
You won't get a very long letter this
time because I haven't much time to write.
I am making  Xmas presents besides trying
to help with the church program. I usually
get both feet in don't I? except__ stepping
over the hens by your barn I had to take
one foot at the time and step high which
made it very inconvenient seeing the wind
was blowing quite strong.
  I received a letter from Rose the
other day so I found out she was home.
You may tell Rose and Mary I'll write
to them as soon as I can squeeze in the

time.
  It is going to seem mighty funny not to
be home for Xmas. I haven't been lonesome
much. I guess it is because I am busy all
the time good thing to. I am learning new
things everyday after Christmas rush
is over Mrs. Lund and I are planning to go
calling on the different members of the M.E.
church all have invited us. I was asked
to a woman house who is a widow a week ago
last Sun. Mrs. Lund was visiting her sister
who lives about fifty miles from here. I thought
I was doomed for the family album but got
fooled. I had a lovely time. I really think
Han is more lonesome than I. I don't dare
think much of Westboro though or I might
be taking the next train.
  I am glad your mother is getting along
so nicely. Helsa her so much from me,
also your Dad and Tom.
  I was Xmas shopping Thursday and
Saturday P.M. Oh such a mob. I thought
I'd never get out of there. it is a good thing
I only have to go a couple of blocks. I met
a number of people I knew. Mrs. Haslanger- the
woman I work for which is also Hrs. H. has
gone shopping this afternoon. Mr. went to

Chicago today on a business trip. We
don't fuss with the cooking so much. He goes
on trips quite often.
  I stayed with Junior and Jane Thanksgiving
while Mr., Mrs. and Bob went to Appleton to
a football game. I took the kids to show in
the afternoon and went to church at night
after putting the kids to bed. They had a social
time after the program and of course I enjoyed
myself. I had to be there to play so Mrs. H
got a woman to stay with the kids that
night.
  Have you found any more good parking
places. Ha! They don't park their cars in
Marinette which of course is a very good
thing.
  I can't write anymore now because
Junior is awake and into things.
   Write soon again
         As ever
             the same old Kid.
                    Anna
Merry Christmas to all of you.
Kind of early.

             P.S.
I just found out that Carl Olson was
papa. I suppose a year from now you'll
be blessed with a little fortune. I have good
practice of being maid so when you and Mary
settle down to hopeful bliss I'll come and
be your maid and live in the house across the
road from your place and Em & Ed on Hornslands
place or "The Riger Place". Work for you & Mary
Mon.,Tues., & Wed & Em & Ed on Thur., Fri.&
Sat then go home to ma on Sunday. Ha!
Was it you that I told was going to have
twenty children; that night I went away I
was telling fortunes, do you remember?
  I was looking in National Catalog
the other night and turned to the page where
the stocking were illustrated and found dawn.
  I suppose you are terribly good now
I am gone. No one to spoil you or teach
you bad habits of talk.
  There is not much going on in either
Westboro or Ogema  is there. I go to church
and invited here and there. I enjoy myself but
not as much as the goffy times we use to have
last summer. Have you heard from Selma
lately. I hope when I go home next summer
she will be to your house so I can see her.


She may have promised a shorter letter but I think it was close to or as long as the last one. Lets see some of things I will comment on are:
Unti Magen, I looked it up on a translating site and the word Magen means "stomach" in Swedish. I think unti might mean "until the". So I think she meant until her stomach hurt.
It sounds like she is looking after the children of Mr. And Mrs. Lund. I wonder how old Junior was at the time?
Shopping around Christmas time was a challenge back then also.
As for her being a fortune teller, I hope she only did it for fun because she was not very good at it.Grandpa did not have twenty children and did not marry Mary (reasons will be explained in future letters.).
Grandpa must have told her about finding places to go parking (if you know what I mean),

I just asked my Dad if he remembers Anna and he said he did. She never married and neither did her sister Hanna.

Anyway here are a few random pictures for your viewing.


I do not know who these people are. It was taken by A. Henke at Gresham, Wis.

This could be a picture of Grandpa. If you look behind him by the house you will notice something by the window. To me it looks like a person on a ladder.

This is a picture of Mary. I wonder if the hat she is wearing is the one she mentioned in her last letter.

Well that's all I have for you today. I hope you have a good week.
So till Friday,
Your good friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment