Friday, December 12, 2014

Mary Kauer: Nov. 26, 1924 Rib Lake, Wis.

My Dear Friends,
I hope this letter finds you well. I'm as good as can be expected. With each day we get closer to Christmas. Are you almost ready? Not me. I can't seam to get in the mood.
Anyway here is the next letter from Mary.



As always here is what I read when I read it.


             Rib Lake Wis.
             Nov. 26, 1924
My dear Howard:-
   Now Howard, this is not
going to be a sweet letter
I'll say(nice) things to you
if you come over Saturday
but I can't write them.
  How did you get home
Sat. I hope you did not
have car trouble on your
way.I was home Sunday
so I know how the
roads are. I'd never
go to see a girl if I had
to take such roads.
  I wished for nice

weather every day but so
far I've had no luck. Do
you know that the week
seems awfully long from
one Sat. to the next? I
hope this Saturday will
be nice. I hate to see
you freeze going home alone.
  I got your card Monday
and I certainly was sur-
prised. I think that
girl (the one on the card) ought to be ashamed
of herself, don't you? She
has no modesty whatever.
(It's naughty but its nice)
  Did you write all
those letters already?

  I'm glad that I have
no cousins to write me
eight pages and expect
me to answer as much.
   Rosie isn't home
yet but she's coming home
pretty soon. I guess
Mrs. Youmans always
coaxed her to stay, but
Mrs. Kauer says she will
have to come now when
the boys go to camp.
  That show that was at
Westboro is here now. I did
not go to see it yet. I wanted
to go tonight but I thot
I better write this letter

or you would not get it
before Saturday.
  I almost got into trouble
on account of your cap.
They all wanted to know
where I got it. Did I buy it
or was it the kids cap?
Joseph told my mother he
thot I got it from you
but I just let them keep
on guessing------------
Well, this is as much as
I can write so goodbye
         Love from your
                  M. Kauer
S.W.A.K.

It sounds like he shared a lot of things with Mary. Telling her about how long the letter was from his cousin and expecting him to write just as long one back to him.
Giving her a cap. I liked how she kept others guessing how she got it.
I think this is the first letter she signed  Love.
S.W.A.K. I think stands for "Sealed With A Kiss."
This one was easy to figure out what it stood for. Later there will be others that could be more challenging to figure out.
As for the mention of Rosie, I wonder if the two of them were friends.
I wonder what the card looked like that he sent her and why Mary makes it sound like the girl was not very
 modest. I might see if I can find something that might fit the bill. But not this time.
So many things that have already faded from history.

Here are few random pictures that are slowly fading away.


A couple of pictures that were at one time in I think some kind of album. No clue when they were taken or who is in them.

No idea who this little girl is or when it was taken.

A couple of Grandpa and Grandma's boys with their pet goat.

Well that's about all I have time for so I will close for now.
So have a good weekend.
Your good friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment