Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Mary Kauer: Dec. 20, 1924 Rib Lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend, mine was drama free. Just trying to get things ready for Christmas. Still lots to do.
Here is the next letter from Mary. Actually it was two letters in one envelope.






The first letter is written in ink and dated Dec. 16, 1924. The second is in pencil, dated Dec 19, 1924.
As always here is what was written.

           Rib Lake, Wis
           Dec. 16, 1924
Dear Howard:-
   Since you say you are
lonesome I'll see what I
can do for you. Here's
hoping it cheers you up
a little. Because I like
to see people happy.
  I got your letter yesterday
and oh, it was a dandy. If
I got one like that every
day I'd never be blue. But
I didn't think I'd get one
from you till today or tomorrow.
  Hilda just came home
now and she said, "Well are

writing to him?" that's the 
time I caught you. I told
her I had a brother to
write to, but I don't know
if she believed it.
  My sister was here
Saturday and she stayed
for the night, so I was
sorry you couldn't come.
I'd like to have you know
her. That was bad luck
for Saturday wasn't it?
The wind was terribly cold.
You might have been
stiff before you got here
and then what? If only
the weather was like the

picture on the card you sent
me. But it won't be for
about 5 months.
  I didn't go home Sunday
It was too cold to suit
me so I just hung around
here all day.
  Say Howard, if you think
you can come this week
come before Saturday, will
you please? Because
our school program is
Sat. and I mite go out.
But I think the weather is
against us, its so cold
again tonite. But if 
you can't come, will

you answer soon? Because
you write such peachy
letters. It tades a
(Swede) to be mushy
doesn't it.
It's getting dark now
so I had better get busy
and go to work.
         love & best wishes
           from Mary
P.S. I won't forget the
   (crazy Swede) for awhile
S.W.A.K.
My letter is all full of
mistakes & ink spots so
you'll have to close one
eye when you read it.

(End of the first letter)

              Rib Lake Wis
               Dec. 19, 1924
Dear Howard:-
    I'm in an awfull
hurry so please excuse
scribbles.
  I got you letter
this noon and of course
the teasing that goes
with it.
  I just wanted to
tell you that I'm going
home Sunday already
instead of Wednesday.
I didn't want you to 
make a trip over
here for nothing.Of

course, the way the weather
is today you couldn't
come anyhow. But
it might by some
miracle, get warmer
again.
  Say, do you know
what Mr. Bonneville said?
He wanted to know if
you were my brother
(not cousin) Must be
that I look like a
Swede after all. Isn't
that a shame? I thot
I was a respectable
German girl.
  Thanks for the

pictures, Howard. I
think I'll show dad
the one of you & your
pets. That's a cute
picture.
  Well as want to 
mail this letter tonite
I'll have to close
now.
          With love from
            your enemy
Wish you a Merry Xmas
and hope Santa is
good to you. He's
generally good to
           Babies.

I"m thinking that she didn't get a chance to mail the first letter and just sent the two together after she got another letter from Grandpa. 
I wish I could have read what he wrote. He must have been some  writer.
She for some reason likes to point out that Grandpa is a Swede and she is a respectable German girl. 
In the second letter she mentioned a Mr. Bonneville. He was the proprietor of The National Hotel that was in Rib lake at the time. I know this because of the return address on the envelope. 
I also think that Mary might have still been in school so, she could have been under 18 years old at the time she started writing and seeing Grandpa.

Anyway here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

This is I think Grandpa with a few of his cats. I wonder if this is the kind of picture Mary was talking about.

Looks like this one was taken after a snow storm. No idea what year it was taken.

I have no idea who they are. I'm sure they are someone that one of my relatives can tell me who they are.It looks like it could be from the 50's or early 60's.

 The next time you here from me will be after Xmas. Here is a Seasons greetings from from Anna Reichert (I think this is the right spelling) from Chicago. I don't know what year it was sent because the post mark and stamp are gone. Collected more then likely by my Uncle Peter.

Well that's all I have for you today. 
I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and that Santa is very good to you all. 
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment