Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Mary Kauer: Dec. 27, 1924 Rib Lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was drama free. We did get snow Friday night and it ended Saturday morning. We got over 6 inches of snow so everything is once again covered.
Anyway here is the next letter from Mary. It is also the last letter for 1924.




AS always here is what I read.

          Rib Lake Wis
          Dec. 26, 1924
Dear Howard:-
   Thanks very much for
the books. I got them yester-
day so they were a real
Xmas present. But what
do you think? Anton Kauer
brought them out so of
course they all saw where
they came from. My brother
came in with a grin all
aver over his face. When
he saw the books he
asked if he might read

them too.
  How did you enjoy your
Xmas. I hope you had as
good a time as I did. Dad
came home Tuesday evening
and my brother came Wed-
nesday. We trimmed our
tree Xmas eve and then
went to midnight mass. So
it was three oclock before
we got to sleep. On Xmas
day fifteen of us went out to
Scheiders. Rosies brother
built a top over their
sleigh and put a stove

and benches in it. We all
went in that and of course it
was more fun then anything.
 How was Santa Claus to
you? He was better to me
than I expected. Must be
I was pretty good last
year. But then, the Germans
are always good.??
  How did you like that
cold weather we had Monday
or wasn't it cold in Ogema?
Maybe the Swedes are
all so hotheaded that

they keep the weather
warm up, too.
 I got a card from Anna
Rosseen this week and I
saw the letter she wrote
to Rosie. And I got another
card that was signed H.J.
but I don't know who that
could be.
 Well, this letter is as
long as a respectable letter
should be so goodbye
    Love from Mary.

I wonder what kind of books she got? I wonder if it was one of the western books that I know Grandpa like to read.
The weather then sounds a lot like what we are having right now.
I wonder what the sleigh looked like? It sounds like it was a lot of fun. But I wonder how safe it was?
Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

This is Otto Swanson and Ed Weberg. I wonder what they were doing?


No idea who this could be. But I'm pretty sure it is of someone from Sweden because the back is in Swedish. I wonder what year it is taken?

This picture is from the scrap book. It's dated 1935.

Well that's all I have for you today.
I just want to wish everyone a very Happy and Prosperous New Year.
So Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment