Friday, December 19, 2014

Mary Kauer: Dec. 10, 1924 Rib Lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope this letter finds you all well. I don't know about you but I'm kind of looking forward to the weekend. I have a lot of things to do this weekend to really get ready for Christmas. I hope the weather will not be to bad.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Mary.




As always here is what I see when I read it.

              Rib Lake Wis
               Dec. 10,1924.
Dear Howard:-
    How do you like this
weather? You didn't
freeze yet, did you? I
was down to the
church last nite and oh,
it was a peach of a nite.
I could have walked for
miles if I had company
It was a regular sleigh-
ride evening.
  But I hope it doesn't
snow any more. I'll take
back my wish. Do the
cars run yet? Or are the

roads drifted too much?
If you think my prayers
will help any, why then
I'll pray for nice weather
for Saturday.
  How did you get home?
Did you have to sit on
your hands again? You
ought to bring some one
along to keep you warm
when you go home.
  I couldn't call you up
Sunday because I went
home at 12 o'clock. We
tried our skis a little
while in the afternoon
but there wasn't quite

enough snow. Rosie &
her two brothers came
over after supper. My cousin
went back to town Monday
morning.
  I told my mother where
I got my cap and she said,
"I spose you asked him to
trade." But I'm not guilty.
"Love me yet, honey?"
I saw the girls that sat
next to you at the show.
They wanted to know why
you didn't buy some of that
vanishing cream.
  Well, I've got to you
go up town yet so

I'll close with lots of love
     from Mary.
          your enemy


(newspaper clipping with letter)
Du Pont, the great chemist, says
that he is going to try to find some-
thing that will take the place of sleep.
"Didn't he ever have a girl?" inquires
Joe the Plodder.

The news paper clipping was interesting but I wonder what her point was exactly.
The way she signed it was also interesting, with love, but also his enemy? I little confusing.
Her mother comment about the hat was interesting.
I wonder what show Grandpa had gone to that vanishing cream was involved. I suppose it was one of those traveling shows that would try to sell you something.

Here are a few random pictures for you to see.

It looks like just a group of friends hanging out. I think the second one from the right could be Grandpa but I'm not sure.

What Grandpas home looked like when he was a young man.

Grandpa plowing snow.

Well that's about all I have for you this time.
So till  next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment