Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Cousin Walter: Nov. 18, 1924 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope this post finds you all well. Me, a little on the tired side. We helped our daughter move into her first house on Saturday. So we are all a little on the sore side today. But that's done so now we can start focusing on the next big thing, Christmas. Me I have a lot to do and not much time or energy to get things done.
Anyway, here is the next letter from cousin Walter.




As always here is what I think it says.

                Chicago, Ill.
                 Nov 18 1924
Dear Cousin:
                 Read your
letter some time ago and
as I have lots of time now
I'll try & answer it. Meant
to answer before but I
kept putting it off for
each day.
           Well I suppose
you are out hunting
every day now. Gee
I'd give a lot to be up
there with you chasing
around in the woods.
Al Id you get yours

yet oo him about it.
Tell me all about it.
When you write. I'd
have lots of time now
because I'm not working
as yet. All that I lacked
was the price of the fare
and after loafing around
all summer its no
wonder I haven't got
that. Jobs are so damn
scarce here but it won't
be long now. I've been
looking around for 2
months now and there
don't seem to be any
descent jobs at all. In
fact there are none.
When ever there is
a concern hiring there
are thousands of men

to apply for those jobs.
   Yes I knew Josephine
Sulko was here because
I was over there one
day last week. Her
and Juluis are pretty darn
thick I guess.
      So you are still
writing to that girl here.
Is it that one that
lives at 3510 Southport
Ave.? That's only a mile
or 3/4 of a mile from
here. Tell her a friend
of yours,lives here & he
wants to call her up some
time if it's OK with her

Ask her if it is and I'll
call her some time. Also
I may be able to date her
up & take her out some
time. I'll show her some
speed for a farmer. Ha.
    Well Howard
news is pretty scarce
so must close. Please
write soon and
tell me all the news.
Greet the folks & also
Thomas.
                Your friend
                Walter.
Had a letter from Bill W.
the other day so I'll write
him now too while I'm
at it.         I heard
Elmer Johnson was married
is that so? 

Well, it looks like he still does not have a job. I wonder what kind of job he was looking for. I thought that employment was hard in the 1930's and not so much in the 1920's. I guess it doesn't matter when you live jobs are always hard to come by.

I think he was referring to Katheryn. If he was I wonder if he was able to date her up and take her out some time. I love that phrase "Date her up" it kind of makes me smile a little at how corny it sounds.
I wonder if Elmer Johnson did get married?

Well here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

I don't know who anyone is in this picture for sure but I'm hoping someone will know.


Grandpa is the one on the left.

This one is very faded. I hope you can make it out. I don't know who is in this picture. I think it was taken at a logging camp.

Well news is scarce so I'll close for now.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment