Friday, December 26, 2014

Cousin Walter Walin: Dec. 24, 1924 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope everyone had a good Christmas. Mine was good. I had most of my family here with the exception of my brother and his family, they will up in a few days. My younger sisters husband and son, because they were sick. Everyone else had a good time.
Anyway here is the next letter from cousin Walter:





As always here is what I see when I read it.

           Chicago Ill.
            Dec. 23, 1924
Dear Howard:
      Received  your
letter some time ago and
have been so damn
busy that I haven't
had time for anything.
Have been working
the past
month at
Wards but was laid
off last night for a
couple of weeks as
their business is so
slack now. I worked

nearly every eve until
9 and every Sat. P.M. and
all day Sunday since
I started there but now
I've a few days to loaf
and bum around a
bit. Jobs are scarce
as hens teeth now days.
   We had a few
cold days and a few
inches of snow but
its a little better now.
Fri Sat & Sun it was
about 4 or 5 below zero
and that's a little

chilly in this land of
silk socks and kid
games. Ha! it's about
15 above today tho!
  You asked me
about these people I
met at Rib Lake
It was Knopes and
Rushe. Do you
know them?
  How's your letter
girl over here on
South Port Ave these
days?
  Well I'm going

to take a run downtown
this P.M. to see what's going
on. I wish you were here
to go along and take it
from me you would see
some arounds. The side
walks are 20 &21 feet wide
and even 35 in some places and
still at this time of the
year they are so damned
lamed a person can
hardly move around.
Just move with the
crowd.
  Well news is

scarce so will close
for now. It is to late
now to wish you a
Merry Xmas but I will
wish you a very happy
and most prosperous
New year. Write soon.
      Your friend cousin
          Walter
Greet the folks & Thomas
for me.

I'm glad Walter finally got a job.I hope he kept it.
He mentioned he was working at Wards. I wonder if it Montgomery Wards?
The two people he mentioned that were from Rib Lake, I'm not sure I spelled their names right.
I wonder if her ever met up with Katheryn?
It sounds like sidewalks in Chicago, in places were wide. I've never been to Chicago so I don't know if they are still as wide or even wider then he said.
The weather sounded like it was on the cold side around Christmas time in 1924.

In honor of the season here a few Seasons Greetings from days gone by.

This is from my dads cousin Lois Marie family. I don't know what year is was taken. The two little girls are her daughters.

It's kind of hard to read. I see these words, " With the compliments of the Season, Anna & J.T.O.  ???"
I can not make out the last name.


I don't know what year this one was taken.

Well that's about all I have for you today. I hope you all have a good weekend and stay warm. It's suppose to start turning colder here with a little snow on the way.
So till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment