Friday, January 9, 2015

Cousin Walter Walin: Jan. 16, 1925 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope this letter finds you all well and staying warm. The bitter cold still has a good hold on us around here.
Here is the next letter from Cousin Walter.




As always here is what it says, I think.

                Chicago, Ill.
                Jan. 16 -'25
Dear Howard:
              Received your
letter some time ago I
know but can't recall just
when, but that however
makes no difference as I
must answer it some
time so may as well now.
This is Fri. eve and I'm
at home so have lots of
time. You see Fri is
a bad night to go out
because if I do then
I'd be all tired out for
Sat and Sunday.
            2
Started to work again
the 5th of Jan at Monkey
Wards again. Things are
quite slack as yet so
must take what I can
get altho I hope the
next time I write you
I can say I have a
better job. Have been
promised one at least
but a person can't
live on promises you
know.
  How's everyone up
there O.K. I hope. We
are all as well and
happy as can be expected.
              3
Had a letter from Juluis
and Alfred N. today. Neither
one of them are working
so I guess you are
not the only one loafing.
Juluis says he expects
to pay me a visit next
month. It will be some-
thing different for him.
The city I mean.
  We are having
fair weather now. Not
at all cold but it
snows a little once in
a while but that
amounts to nothing.

Well news is rather
scarce so will close
for now. Let me hear
from you real soon
and give me all the
news. Greet your
Mother & Dad for me
and also Thomas.
         Your Cousin
           Walter
How's the Roseen &
Julin Families O.K.. I
hope. Greet them. Take
Nels out some nite &
get him stewed up. Ha

He mentioned working at Monkey Wards which for people who are not young enough to remember was what people called Montgomery Wards. It started in 1872 until 2000. It's still an online catalog known as Wards.
I'm sorry if I misspelled any of the names he wrote. It was a little hard to read some of them.
Since news was scarce in this letter here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

  This picture is on the light side but I did what I could to get it darker. I don't know who they are but they are piling hay. It is actually darker here then the original.

This looks like a bunch of guys camping somewhere.

I don't know who this little girl is. I don't know what year it was taken.

Well that's about all I have for you today.
So stay warm this weekend.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment