Friday, January 2, 2015

Anna: Jan 19, 1925 Marinette Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope the beginning of the new year for you was a good one so far. Mine has been quiet. I did not stay up to watch any ball drop. When you are use to going to bed early and getting up a little after four am, it's a little hard to keep your eyes open later at night.
Anyway here is the first letter for the year 1925. The envelope is post marked 1925 but when she wrote the date on the letter it's self she wrote 1924.







Boy she can write. It's hard to read in spots so here is what I can make out.

      Marinette, Wis.
    Jan. 15, 1924
Dear Howard:- I am using my
suit case for a writing desk. My
table is down stairs and am to lazy
to go and get it. If I write downstairs
Junior will be write night over me.
  Santa Clause certainly was good
to you wasn't he? This is what I need
a traveling bag from home.
apron - this writing paper a hankey handkerchief
from Hannah.
Bloomers from Em (now laugh)
a dallar bell from Freda
"    "        "     " Mr. Haslanger
goods for a blouse " Mrs."
candle sticks- ( irony) " Junior & Jane
candles-                      " Bob
two hankerchief-           " Mrs. H. father
and mother- 2 "              " Louis & Maxcan

Lund. chemise-- from Mrs. Lund
I suppose you don't know what this is
a string of beads from Ruth Lundgren
a pair of silk tights " Mary, Ann &Lydia
a hankerchief from Clainen Emenson.
" box of candy from church also
a sack of candy which was for kid
under 16. I had more fun over that
sack of candy. The kids ate if up for
me before I got out of church.
  I am sorry you have been sick.
I was sick but not in bed three days
but feel fine now. I have just put
the kids to bed which is a relief. Ha!
  I went with Mrs. Haslanger and
the kids over to Menomene this
afternoon after I came from up
town- ah talk about cold.
He got stuck with the car and
had to get a garage man to get it started

It has not been so awful bad
here. I guess it was only one
week of real cold weather but I
think we're getting another spell
of it right now.
  How is your mother? I hope
she is well by now.
  I have done so much chasing
lately. I was to the English M.E.
young peoples meeting Tuesday night
and I am going to hear a lecture
on Panama in our church
tomorrow night. There is going
to be a social after-wards. It hard
by get a chance to get lonesome
here. I like Marintte real well.
  What do you do for excitement?
Don't you wish I was back in
Youmans stone getting "fresh" Apple

for you. Ha! Who gets them for you now
yourself. How about those Hyepa girl
that you saw in Rib Lake that time but
her brother came instead. Do you remember.
 Say- you said I'd be married next-
Nothing stirring; I get enough of house
work. Some people here are trying
there d-----. but nothing daring while
I have my health and strength.
Say Carl Olsen is doing fine isn't he.
 I really believe its best to bashful and
well- you know what you said about me once
I bet you wish you had that dumby
that I fixed up for you now to keep your
feet warm these cold nights. Mr. H.
is gone so I have to keep that furnace
a going when Bob is at school or not
around and get its hard it takes so
much heat now its so cold to. I
have to quit & write some other letters
and go to bed so I'd feel fine to-morrow night
    Helsa your god & mother Anna
                                 from

p>S. I just thought of some more
news. I recid a letter from Hanna
the other day saying that Dad and August
were out hunting rabbits. I wished I
had been with them because we had had
beans for dinner and I hate to think
of wasting all the amunition on the air.
  I wished you had been around this
afternoon I just felt like going to a
movie but hated to go alone. Don't dare
tell that to L- Ha! so I got some bans
of candy instead.
  last Friday night we had meeting
over in our church. The Norwegian
preacher- of the Methodist church preached
and he talked so chappy of broken thought
is thoughts were good. A boy compand
the sens his talk to a Ford running on
only two cylinders. My it struck me
funny. There was uncon meetings all

week. Germans, Swedes, Norwegians, Dales &
English M.E. together. Carlson had the
people say the Lords prayer together but in their own
language and Walter- the boy who plays(music)
with me and I could have it all.and it
sounded is funny. We had had the craziest
 grin on his face and I suppose I did to, we
nearly died laughing to our self.
  We have fun here but I don't done to
cut up & talk like I did this summer.
I wonder if Em has anything on- since
she got home. She says she is coming here
to visit in a month or so. I hope so. May
be I'll have to behave myself then. I
want to get some other work then but
don't know How What & when. I got
spoilt in Y's stone last year
               goodnight
           Pop. Pop. Pop shank
       and shat.

I did my best to copy it down but I know I failed a lot with this letter. She really likes to write long letters and almost as long p.s.'s. I hope you are able to make out all the things she said. I know I got most of the names spelled wrong. I did the best I could.
Because it was such a long letter I won't comment on things, what can I say.

So here are a few random pictures for you to see.

No idea who these guys are. Just one of many portraits I have yet to show you that I have no idea who they are.

This is a picture of chicken coop in the winter time.

No idea who they are or when it could have been taken.

Well I'll close for now.
I hope the new year will be great for everyone.
So till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment