Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Mary Kauer: Jan. 16, 1925 Rib lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope this letter finds you staying warm if you live around here. It's to cold for me and I am trying to stay indoors as much as possible.But then again where I work, I wear a long john top everyday anyway.
Enough about the weather, here is the next letter from Mary.




It is pretty easy to read but hear is what it says anyway.

            Rib Lake Wis
             Jan. 16, 1925
Dear Howard:-
  I just finished a letter
to my cousin and a girl
cousin at that, so now I'll
see if I can write another one.
You know its almost a days
work for me, to write two
letters.
  I can't make is so very
long because its getting
late and my ink is almost

gone.
  I feel sorry for you, if
you are as lonesome as
you say, but
I thot men never get lone-
some or homesick. I know
a good cure for it. Get drunk.
I never tried it but thats
what they say.
 Say Howard, you aught to
be ashamed of yourself, sending
me such things as the one
about Santa. I thot I told
you once that I was a

respectable German girl? But
you must be a pretty good
fellow, or you wouldn't stay
home nights as much as you
do.
 I was out home again last
Sunday, and I had to walk
back part of the way as our
car froze up. I was to a
show here Tuesday evening and
it certainly was a dandy.
Wednesday one of our neighbor
girls came in and we went
to a dance. But we didn't

do much dancing, because it
was an old time dance.There
was one man there about as
big as a haystack and I think
he danced more than all the
rest.
  Well, I wasn't going to
make this letter so long so
I better quit.
                 good luck from
                                 Mary
P.S. I'm sorry to hear that
you aren't married yet.

Not a whole lot here to comment on. She does make it sound like writing is such a chore but she does write often to Grandpa.
I wonder what kind of thing he sent her that involved Santa that she thought was not right for a respectable German girl.
She sounds like a typical young woman from any time.
One thing I know about reading all these letter is, it dosn't matter how long ago a letter was written, it often sounds like it was something that could have been written lately. Well, except for certain words.

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

Just one of the many pictures I have with no clue who they are.

I don't know who's house this is, but there are a number of pictures of it.

This is a picture of Grandpa and Grandmas house the way I remember it. It was taken from around the area where the chicken coop was.

Well that's all I have to say today.
Stay warm until the next visit.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment