Friday, January 30, 2015

Mary Kauer: May 21, 1925 Rib Lake, Wis.

Hello Friends,
How are you today? Me? I didn't have to work today so I can do this letter sooner then I usually do.
It looks like this weekend, around here is going to be colder then it has been.
Anyway here is the next letter from Mary:




As always here is what it says:

             Rib Lake Wis
             May 20, 1925
Hello Howard:-
  I spose you thot I'd never
answer but I'm not dead
just yet. I'll have to pay my
insurance first. I'm glad to
hear that you're not working
too hard. Neither am I just
now. You wanted to know where
Bogumilla live. Well they have
a store and they live upstairs.
It's the second building from
the post office. You can come

over Monday or Tuesday if you
want to come. The store is
open on those nights and you
can ask for me there. You'd
probably break your neck com-
ing upstairs. There was one
girl fell down but she didn't
get hurt by luck. But don't
come before eight o'clock. And
honest Howard you can't come
any oftener. Because you know
why.

I had some bad luck yesterday.
I was ironing and instead of
ironing the clothes I went
across my arm and burnt it.
It's not very bad but it makes
me mad any how.
  Say the band is playing
outside and if doesn't first
playing such lively pieces
I'll get up and jig. If I had
someone to dance with I'd be
alright now.
  They are building a new

city hall across the street
from here and one day I
tried to flirt with those
fellows and they wouldn't
even look up. I don't think
that was very nice of them.
  Well so long now it's
getting pretty late
                  Mary

Reading it I was wondering how someone accidentally runs an iron over their arm. I bet she was day dreaming about something or someone.
She mentioned they were building a new city hall. I tried to find a picture of it but could not. In Rib Lake they do have a Municipal building. I wonder if it is the same one or even in the same place as the one she is taking about. I think some day soon I will have to take a ride to Rib Lake and check some of the places out to see if they are still there.
I wonder what kind of band was playing outside and why?
So many questions that will never be answered because they have faded away never to known again.

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

Just one of the many logging pictures I have that I have no idea when it was taken or who could be in it.

This one was taken in late summer 48 1936. That what is written on the back. The woman in the picture I think is Grandma.

No idea who this little boy is.

Well that's all I have for you today. So stay warm this weekend and I'll be back on Tuesday with another letter from a fading past.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment