Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Mary Kauer: Feb. 30, 1925 Rib lake, Wis.

Hello Friends,
I hope this post finds everyone in fine spirits. At least it's not super cold outside right now.
Here is the next letter from Mary:




As always here is what it says:

        Rib Lake Wis
         Feb 30, 1925
Hello Howard:-
     Well, you said I have
to write a long letter this
time so I'll see what I can
do. I feel awfully sorry for
you that you have to get
up before breakfast. It's
a shame to make any
one work so hard.
  I had a letter from Anna
Roseen yesterday. She can
write a long letter, can't she?
Must be that she was born

under a different star than
I.
 How did you like last
weeks weather? Didn't it
just make you feel like
Easter? I guess it was the
January than but it came
in Feb. I'm glad that it's
snowing again today. You
know I always did like the
snow.
 So you would like to
know if I saw any of the
pictures at the show or
if I walked to town alone.
Well, I did see some of

the pictures but I don't
remember the title. But that's
because the hall was so
cold that I nearly froze.
First I'll give you an invitation
for the big day as you say
but what is a big day? That's
what I can't find out. The long-
est day of the year is a
pretty big day, isn't it?
  I don't scrap anymore for
the simple reason that I
have no one to scrap with.
I'm so glad to get home on
Sundays that I forgot all

about it. Last Sunday I stayed
at the hotel and I think
it was the lonesomest day
I ever spent. Even the kid
is gone. He has scarlet fever
so he's quarantined for six
weeks. There's typhoid fever
here too but so far I haven't
heard of smallpox. I think
that's just for the Swedes.
Don't get sore because the
Swedes are pretty good
after all and it would be
too bad it they all died.
This is a fair sized letter, don't
you think so?      Mary

Just a everyday communications kind of letter. It sounds like a number of people were having problems with a number of different disease. It's nice to see she would miss the Swedes if they suddenly all died. Or maybe just certain ones.
  I wonder if when she said she does not scrap any more means she is not fighting with someone. At least that's what I think she is talking about.
By the sounds of this letter she must have been a little lonely and maybe was hoping someone (Grandpa) would come and keep her company.

Anyway here are a few random pictures I picked for you to look at. See if you can figure out the theme.

I'm not sure who this is for sure. But they look like they were not feeling very well.

I think this was my dads cousin Tommy.


On the back it says Marlene & Marianne. This was taken at one of the class trips taken to either Washington D.C. or maybe New York.
Did you get the theme?
They are all on or in bed. I know corny.
Well that's all I have for you today.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment