Friday, January 16, 2015

Mary Kauer: Jan. 30, 1925 Rib Lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I don't know about you but I'm looking forward to the weekend. It's suppose to be around 30 degrees. A heat wave! Yeah!!!
Anyway here is the next letter from Mary.




As always here is what it says:

       Rib Lake Wis
       Jan. 30, 1925
Dear Howard:-
  Well I supose you
think I forgot all about
you this time.
   How are your tonsils
now. Do they still bother
you? I'm getting on the
same as always. I was
at home last Sunday and
walked back. I had a
heck of a time for myself

but I guess my mother was
scared I'd freeze or someone
would kidnap me. She doesn't
need to worry, there's no
such luck.
  Rosie is still at home,
playing hired man. The
boys were all home from
camp last Sunday and they
look like a bunch of tramps.
They are all letting their
beards grow.
 Sunday there is a party at
Fuch's, its one of the boys

birthday.
 I was at a party two weeks
ago Saturday eve. here in town
and Sunday I went to show
but it wasn't with my cousin
or Charly. gee, I thot I was
smart.
  I read two of the books
already and I like them of
course. Only trouble is that
the girls are always so
awfully beautiful. But they
are the kind of stories

that I like.
  I'll have to close now
as it is near to supper
time. First thing I know
Hilda will be sore.
    good luck from Mary

P.S. Thanks for the Valentine
but its not so. I mean your
being bashful.

Not much to comment on here. Grandpa must have been having trouble with his tonsils at the time.
I wonder what the name of the books were that she was reading?
She mentioned the boys being back from a camp. It was a logging camp she was talking about, I suppose.
Here are a couple of pictures of logging. One is of a camp by Ogema. N. Nelson must have had the camp because that is what it says at the bottom of the picture.
I did my best to improve it. There are two of these pictures. This is the brighter of the two.

The one in the middle is Grandpa. Don't know who the other two are. Notice the beard on the one.

Here is just a random picture of  I think three of Grandpa and Grandma's boys with their chickens.

Since she mentioned a valentines card he must have sent her early, I decided to show you one of the old ones from around that time.
I know it's a little early but it looks like one a country boy would give to a girl he liked.

Well, that's about it for now. I hope you have a good weekend.
So till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment