Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Mary Kauer: Jan. 19, 1926 Rib Lake, Wis.

Hello Friends,
How was your weekend? Mine was good. I think I mentioned I was going to a kind of family get together. it was a nice. I even got a copy of a family tree. I have to study it when I get a chance and share a few more things with you from it that you might enjoy. but that might have to wait till I get my line more memorized for the play I will be in. I'll tell you more about that another time.
Anyway here is the next letter from Mary. It's a little longer then usual. 6 full pages.









Here is what it says:

                  Rib lake, Wis
                   Jan. 19, 1926
Hello Howard:-
    Are you almost
snowed in or can you still
get around. This is a peach
of a snow storm we're
having today. If you were
anywhere's  near I'd show
you how to play snow-
ball and wouldn't I have
you begging for mercy.
Cause I'm a good straight
shot at it.

I dreamt of you last nite
and you said, "Well,I'm com-
ing over Tuesday eve." This is
Tuesday but if you go as
far as Swanson's tonite
you'll be doing fine.
I was home last Sunday
but it was and was up at
Fuch's in the afternoon. Marie
& Henry Niggeman were there
too so I rode back with
them at nite. They say the
roads out their way are

awful. That makes it hard
on the fellows going to
the cat farm.
  How are Thomas and
Edna getting on? I wish
them good luck. Or did
you cut him out? When
did you say Thomas's birth-
day was? I hope it isn't
past yet because I want to
send him a birthday greeting
Mother's & Dad's silver wedding
is the day after tomorrow

but they are going to cele-
brate it next Sunday. Mrs.
Hipke told me I could go
home Sat. afternoon if I
wanted to. Maybe she's used
to celebrating two days
at a time. Just wait till
you're married 25 years. I
bet you'll have gray hair
 and wrinkles and you'll be
swearing at the kids for
running around and wasting
so much money and breaking
the car. But if I ever see

you or hear you growl-
ing I'll remind you of
the days when you were
young and foolish.
Maybe I'll send you
one silver teaspoon for
your 25th anniversary.
Say, who do you think
I got a letter from last
week? From A.M. But he
only wanted to know when
the masquerade was. he
didn't come in, tho.
There's going to be another

one here the 2nd of Feb.
I guess I had
better quit now. This
letter is longer than
any I ever wrote. I should
write one to my cousin
in Canada yet but one a
day is enough.
So long and lots of
good luck and________
          from Mary.
P.S. What's the joke on Edna
& Thomas? Can't it be written?


This was  I think her longest letter to date.  it sounds like there was a lot of snow or snow storms happening at the time.  Thomas must have been seeing Edna at the time. I wonder how long they saw each other?
I wonder what kind of get together they had for her parents silver anniversary.
I wonder what kind of joke it was that had to do with Edna and Thomas.
History that will never be known.

Here are a few random pictures for you to see.
These pictures were too big to fit in the scanner so I had to take pictures of them.

 This is a picture of the Johnson homestead. I think the people are Grandpa's parents and maybe Grandpa and Thomas.

This is the Sunnyside School no.8 Ogema about 1908. I think Grandpa and Thomas are in the front. Maybe.

I think this might be a church in Ogema. But I don't know what year. This is when people always wore their Sunday best.

Now before I go I would like to share a picture I took at the family get together.

This is most of the cousins.Children from Grandpa and granddaughters of his brother Nels.
It was a good time for all that were there.
I'll share a few other picture in the future.

Well that's all I have time for now.
I hope you can drop by again.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment