Friday, May 29, 2015

Cousin Emma: Jan. 24, 1926 Duluth, Minn.

Dear Friends,
How was your week? Mine was kind of busy. With having Monday off made the week kind of feel shorter, but. I have to work on Saturday, bummer. But I have to do what I have to do.
Here is the next letter which is from his cousin Emma who was living in Duluth, Minn.




As always here is what it says:

                Duluth, Minn.
                 Jan. 24, 1926
Dear Howard:-
             I sometimes
am a long time in
keeping my promises
but then it is better
late than never.
   Have you had
any fudge since
Christmas. How
did you feel the next
day.
  I sure was tired
on Monday on Monday

when I got back up
here but I worked all
day just the same.
There sure was enough
work waiting for
me to do.
  Well, I am back
on my old job again
and it seems like
home to be there.
   How is your
Mother? Greet her
for me.
  We are sure having
a cold spell up here

now but we have
very little snow.
I hope it warms
up a little soon.
  Next Tuesday night
we are going out to
Gustafsons for a
skating party. There
is a nice big rink
right near their place.
I know we will
have a good time.
We saw the picture
"The Vanishing American"
It sure is a wonderful

picture but it certainly
is sad.
  We are going out
to the Swedish Methodist
Church to a young peoples
Rally this evening and
it is almost time to
go so I will have
to close.
  Don't forget to plan
on coming on coming
up this summer.
       Write soon
Hello- Am  With love
             Emma

This is the first letter from her. The others were postcards.
The picture she mentioned, "The Vanishing American"  was a silent film from 1925. It was based on a book written by Zane Gray.
Image result for the vanishing american
It's about Indians and the unfair treatment they got from the white man. An Indian hating agent named Booker convinces an Indian named Nophaie that if he gives the white man the best horses to fight in the Great War that afterwards  Indians will be treated better. He lied. Nophaie is taught to read by a woman called Marion. After the Great war is over the Indians go on the war path. Booker and Nophaie both die. Nophaie dies in Marion's arms. That's why she said it was sad.
I wonder if they have ever thought of making another version of this one. I think it's something that should be considered.

Not a whole lot else in this letter. I wonder if how long she lived in Duluth?


Here are a few random pictures for you to see.

The one on the left is Grandpa. I don't know who the other two are or what the occasion was.

 No idea who these people are. But if you notice the third guy from the right might have a military kind of uniform on. Maybe it's Uncle Thomas.

No clue who this woman was. On the right side of the picture it looks like the side of an old car, maybe.

Well that's all I have to share with you today. I hope you have a good weekend. Mine will be shorter then I would like but, that's life.
So till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment