Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Mary Kauer: Sept. 27, 1926 Rib Lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope your weekend was enjoyable. Mine was good. No dramas. The weather was not to bad. A little on the chilly side but the sun was shinning most of the time.
Well here is the next letter from Mary.




 As always, for those that find it hard to read here is what I see:

                Rib Lake Wis
                Sept. 27, 1926
Dear Howard:-
  Well, this is Monday
evening so I'll have to see
write something that will
look like a letter.
  Mrs. Hipke is sick today
so I had to do the washing
by myself today She is

quite sick yet but I hope
she won't be sick very long.
How are you? Did you
go to show last nite? We
were to a party again. We
had just been home a few
minutes when Bob Hempt
came over and invited us
to come to his brothers
home. It's right near

the Fawn Valley school.
 I got a letter from John
today and he says it's so
hot there that he almost
melts. I wish we had a
little of that heat here.
He's in the seminary now
and he has to wear a
cassock most of the time
and he says that makes it
lots worse. A cassock is

that black robe that priests
wear. I also got a letter
from Rosie's sister from
Philadelphia today. Remind
me of it when you see me
and I'll tell you what she
said about you. Then maybe
you'll be so stuck up you
won't look at me anymore
      Love from Mary.

I wonder how sick Mrs. Hipke was. I wonder what John's last name was and he became a priest.
I also wonder how hot it was back then.
I wonder what Rosie's sister said about Grandpa that Mary thought it would go to his head.
So many questions that will never be answered.

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at:

No clue who these guys are, when it was taken or even what they up too.

Not sure when this was taken. Someone told me the guy at the podium is Grandpa. I don't know if he ever had a beard like that. If he did, it was before my time.

On the back it says: "Your pal Alice Landes 1957". Someones classmate.

Well that's all I have to share with you today. I hope you will come back again for more faded history.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment