Friday, December 4, 2015

Lillian L. Dec. 12 1926 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Mine was fairly uneventful. I can't the say it was for other places in the country. I wonder how all of these massive killing events will be seen in history. The only wish I have is for this kind of events will very soon stop. But I know it won't. There is to much unhappiness out there and to many negative influences to stop.
Enough of that. Here is the next letter from Lillian.




  For those that find it hard to read, here is what I think it says.

        Chicago. Illinois
           Dec. 1926
Dear Howard:-
  Your letter of some
time ago will place
a few lines, to let
you know am still
alive. I dreamt of
Rasi one night, Is
he sick or some-
thing? I didn't even
hear of your fathers
death at all untill
you write. Well,
Howard I hope you
are Healthy & enjoy
it just the same
My Uncle died few
weeks ago. Mr. Yakkala.
He was sick many
years already. he
was in bed for a
week this time when

he died.
 I been feeling
pretty good. I had
a cold & sore throat
for 2 weeks. But
that's nothing as long
as I can stay up &
work at same.
I'm still working
in a restaurant. I
get $18.00 a wk with
board. it's pretty fair
I can live on it
any how.
  How is the weather
there? I bet there
is a lot snow.
only sometime
But it sure is
cold sometime
In Wisconsin
Michigan there is
always a lot of snow.

Have you seen Elmer
Venett lately. His married
now too. You knew
Uinnifined Uluf an, did-
n't you? When is
your turn coming
I guess I will soon
If everything goes
OK. If not break
off any sooner.
I don't care much
of getting married
anyhow yet. I'm
young yet but. I s'pose
everyone gets just
the same. I s'pose
next summer I
will be in Wisconsin
for a while. If not
for Xmas. I'd like
to go at Xmas, but
it is hard to get off.

Well, Howard I hope
you enjoy Xmas
I have to go down
the Laap be/4 I go
work. so Please
excuse.
Give regards to
all. With Friendly
             Love
    Your friend
        Lillian
 444 N. State St
        Chicago, Ill.
   c/o Glabas

I apologize for any miss interpretations I may have made. A few words I think might have been Swedish. Like 'Uinnifined Uduf' . I think if it is Swedish might translate to 'undefined Olof'. But I'm not sure that is what she meant. 'Olof' I think was a term referring to a man. I could be wrong.
She is still working in a restaurant and getting $18.00 a week plus room and board. i wonder what that would translate into pay today.
I think that life back then was so much simpler then it is today.
I think she must have moved since her last letter. The address is different for the last letter.
I wonder if she ever got married.


Here are a few random pictures for you to look at:

I think the second one from the right might be Grandpa.

No idea who they are or when it was taken.


No idea who this is. It was taken in March 1926.I think it says 'Home Mountain Mich.

Well that's all I have for you this time.
I hope you will come back again soon for some more faded history.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment