Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Mary Kauer: Dec. 17, 1926 Rib lake, Wis

Dear Friends,
How are you? I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was uneventful. The weather was warmer then I think it should be for December in Wisconsin.
Here is the next letter from Mary.





For those who find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                  Rib Lake Wis
                  Thurs. 8 P.M.
Dear Howard:-
  I got your letter this
morning and  certainly
enjoyed reading it. That's
the kind of letter I'd
like to get every day.
Don't you s'pose I could
get somebody else to write
to me too so it wouldn't
be so hard much for you. I
don't know whether I'll

be able to write a very long
letter or not tonite as I want
to fix Johns box up yet so
I can send it tomorrow gee,
Xmas is coming in a hurry.
And I haven't got anything for
you yet. How would a quart of
good whiskey do? Alright? Or Clara
says they have some little
dolls down in the store that
stick their tongue out when
you push their stomach
that would be nice for kids
wouldn't it?
  Say Howard, by the looks of
the weather and the roads
here I don't s'pose you could come
Sat. so I guess I'll go home.
Pa was in the store yesterday

and he asked Clara
if I could come and she
said I could go and stay
for Sunday right away. I
wonder if they plowed the
roads yet. Pa said that
around the town hall corner
it was all drifted.
I'm going home Xmas nite
and stay over Sunday so
you be sure to be there
then. I don't s'pose you can

come over during the week
if the roads are so bad.
I tho't maybe you could
come and help me iron
again.
  How are you? You didn't
catch cold going home did
you? gee, I was surprised
at the change in the weather
Monday. I'm all O.K. except
that I was so mad at the
kids tonite that I got a

headache. Say you said I could
boss you if I didn't make you
wipe the dishes. Well, how would
it be if you would wash them?
And then if you always let me
sleep till noon when I'm tired you'll
be a real good scout. I'm beginning
to think you'd be a nice old man ( I mean husband)
 Say I'll have to quit now as
it's 8.30 already
                       Goodnite & Love from
                                                 M.K.

Well it was not a short letter. She didn't really said much, but she wrote almost five pages.
I wonder if they were able to get together for Xmas.
the weather sounds like it was on the snowy side. More then we have right now.
I tried to find an example of the kind of doll she mentioned but I could not find one on the internet. I'm sure Grandpa would have chosen the whiskey over a doll.

Anyway, here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

This was taken from the Empire State Building on I think someones class trip. In the 1950's.

Lois Marie was Grandpa's niece. These are her children.

This looks like the Johnson boys cutting firewood. But I could be wrong.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back soon for so more faded history.
Till Next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment