Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Mary Kauer: Jan. 9, 1927 Rib lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope this post finds you all well. Me, I'm good. I had a good weekend. It's hard to believe that Xmas is is close. The temps around here does not tell me it's December. But I think it might be starting to change. I think we will have a white Xmas around here.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Mary:




As always for those that find it hard to read here is what it says:

                    Rib Lake Wis
Sunday 9 P.M. Jan. 9, 1927
Dear Howard:-
   This stationary has
no name and address
printed on it but maybe
I can write a letter on it.
I'm still at home but
Mr. Lamberty is going to
take me to town in the
morning with the cutter.
It's nice to have such
good neighbors isn't it. I
wouldn't have come home
this morning if I had
tho't that it would
turn out so bad. We
were over to Lamberty's
all afternoon. Anton

was home from camp
but he went back this
afternoon.
Katie, teacher, Rosie &
Margaret want to go to
Lambert's camp next Sat.
and if I can get off I'll go
out on the train from
town Sat. morning else
I'd have to walk home
Friday nite. I hope I can
go. I think that would
be more fun than listen-
ing to the kids crying.
  Say, Howard are you
mad because I looked
so grouchy Saturday?
Gee, I couldn't help it, I

felt so darn mean and
the kids all crying
around that is enough
to give anybody a grouch.
Gee, I certainly wouldn't
have such spoiled kids,
would you?
  And don't be sore because
I said you couldn't come
Sunday's but gee, Howard
that's the only way to
                So don't be
sore, will you? If you
come during the week come
on up. Maybe the doctor
forgot to take out all the
stitches and you'll have
to come in this week.

Well, ma says we have
to go to bed. so I'll
quit for tonite. Lots of
love from M.K.
say, how about that
warm weather you prom-
ised us? Did it come to
Ogema, it isn't here.

It sounds like Mary wasn't in a good mood for some reason. I wonder if it was the kids that were driving her up the wall.
For those of you who don't know about the camps, they are logging camps. It was very big back then. It's the thing that made places like Rib Lake a bustling kind of place.
I wonder what she was talking about stitches. Did she or Grandpa have some kind of stitches for some reason? Or was it one of her many wise cracks she makes about something. Or was it some sort of secrete hint about something that only the two of them knew the true meaning.
Just more history that has faded way, never to be understood again.

Here are few random pictures for you to look at:

It looks like this one was taken at a place where they brought the logs to be loaded on to a train. The sign says "Morse".

No idea who any of these people are. Do you?

These two were part of a album of some sort at one time. No idea who any of the guys are or when it was taken.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you can come back again for some more Faded history.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment