Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Mary Kauer: Dec. 9, 1926 Rib Lake, Wis

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. It did not look much like winter around here. But that will be changing for a couple of days. Other wise the weekend was very quiet for me. I stayed home the whole weekend. With the exception of getting a few things Sunday for the week. My life is on the boring side, sorry.
Anyway here is the next letter from Mary:


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                Rib Lake, Wis.
                Dec. 9, 1926
Dear Howard:-
  I s'pose you cussed
at me today because you
didn't get a letter but I
forgot all about writing last
nite. Clara had a couple of
old hens here and they talked
so much so you see it's not
my fault.
  Gee, you should hear
the baby now. There's nothing

sweet about her. She's crying so
loud I bet they hear her at Wurtgen's.
I'd raise my children so they'd never
cry. Wouldn't you? But they wouldn't
dare take after me.
  There is band practice tonite
and it sounds good. The baby quit
crying now else I couldn't hear it.
Well, I did all my ironing Tuesday
evening and yesterday afternoon I
was up at Kelnhofer's and got a
fruit cake for John and I took
my tickets to the bank. I had 49.
The barrel they have there is full
so they are using a box. So that
means a pretty slim chance for me.
Tonite I want to make 2 dresses
for the baby for Xmas. Mrs. B's
gone so I've got a good chance.
I can't think of anything else
to write so goodnight Mary. K
P.S. You got quite a compliment from Mrs.
                                                           Bushau

I wonder what the tickets were for? I suppose it was for some kind of a raffle. I wonder who was the lucky person who won and if she will mention it again?
I wonder if she was able to finish both of the dresses she planned to make for the baby?
So many wonders with no chance of ever being answered.

Well here are a few random pictures for you to look at.


I thought I would show you a couple pictures of babies since she talked about the baby. I have no idea who they are.

A senior picture of Deanna '56. it was taken at the Drake Studio, in Medford, Wis.

I decided to share another clipping from the scrap book.

WPA Strikers Picket Governor's office.

Bearing signs deriding Gov. Philip La Follette because he gave them no satisfaction in confer-
ence, striking WPA (works progress administration) workers are picketing the executive offices
in the state capital at Madison. here are four strikers as they paraded in front of the en-
trance to the governor's suite.

I wonder how long they picketed?
Oh well, that''s all I have to share with you today.
I hope you come back again soon for more faded history.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment