Friday, December 11, 2015

Mary Kauer: Jan. 2, 1927 Rib Lake, Wis

Dear Friends,
I don't know about you but I'm looking forward to the weekend. I wonder if it will ever start snowing here. It's been raining. I sure hope that there will be snow by Christmas. It's just not Christmas around here if there is no snow on the ground.
Anyway here is the next letter from Mary plus Xmas card from Emma. As you can see the letter is the first one for the year 1927. I will tell you that most of the letters from this year are from Mary.




For those that find it hard to read here is what it says:

                        Jan. 2, 1927
Fear Howard:-
  well, this is Sunday evening
and I was here all day. If I
spend many more Sundays like
this I'll go bugs. After this I'll
always go home if I have to
walk every time. Gee, you can't
imagine how lonesome and long
this Sunday was. I hope they
get that skating rink fixed up
pretty soon. That will be some-
thing to do when I stay here.
Agnes Schneider & Elvria Henpt
were up here before and they are
coming again when they get thru
washing dishes. Clara wants to go
to the show so I'll have to

stay here with the baby. Clara
was down to Bushaws before and
then the baby drank some kerosene
and coughed so much that Peter
called Clara up and told her to
come home. The baby was alright
when Clara got home but she took
her along to Bushaws.
Agnes Schneider & I were to a
party at Bondis last nite. It was
a surprise party on Joe's girl. I
was going to tell you about it when
you called up but I didn't know
yet if we were going. We walked
out and walked back again. And
we got home at 1.30. That's not so
bad, was it?
Moores, Bob Henpil & Daubuts were not there

  Oh say, Margaret got that doll that
Bob said he'd get for her. You know
she teased him so much about getting
a doll for Agnes and then he said
he'd get her one.
  When Kauer's went home with
their coupe last nite they tipped
over. I guess they all got quite a
scare but nobody got hurt.
  Nick Goerrer (Katie Lambert's husband) was home from
camp again, too. He certainly does
like to dance even if he is married
Or maybe he gets lonesome for
Katie, how about it? He work at
the same camp Joseph is at and
Joe thinks it's too much trouble
to come home so often.

Say, Howard I just read my
letter over and honestly, I don't
see how you can read it. if I
hadn't written it myself I could
never read it. Say, I don't know
anymore news so think I'll stop
before I use another sheet of paper.
Say, you know what you said
about turning Catholic. Well, if you
don't want to all you have to do
is say so. You don't need to make
it as strong as that fellow told
you. Tell him I don't want to go
there as I heard it was awfully
hot. So long now and lots of
love & X from M.K. I wish you
were here now but maybe it's better
that you aren't. Let's be good a
little while.

 This is one of the longer letters she has written. I wonder how the baby got a hold of kerosene and drank some. I'm glad to hear she was okay. I wonder what kind of yelling happen over it. I wonder who was suppose to be watching the baby.
It sounds like Grandpa was considering becoming Catholic. One of his ways to get closer to her.
I want to say sorry for any of the names I spelled wrong. It was hard to make out some of the letters.
I wonder what kind of surprise party they had for Joe's girl.
I wonder if the doll she mentioned is the same one from the last letter. if it was it must have been a hit around the Rib lake area.
Oh well, just more things that have forever past into an unknown history, never to be known again.

Here is a Xmas card that would have been the last letter from 1926. It's from Emma.

I don't know about you but I love those old time Xmas cards.

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

One of the logging pictures. I think Grandpa might be the one on the top closest to the front end.

Just one of the pictures that looks like it was from the twenties. No idea who is in it though.

Just another picture of someones class trip to D.C..

Well that's all I have to share with you today. I hope you have a good weekend.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment