Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Mary Kauer: Jan. 21, 1927 Rib Lake, Wis

Hello Friends,
Well I hope you enjoyed your Xmas weekend. Mine was good. I did have to start work 2 hours earlier on Monday. I did survive, barely. I just hope it's the last one, but I think I might be wrong. I'll let you know next time.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Mary:



 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

         Rib lake Wis
         Thursday 3 P.M.
Hello Howard:-
    Well this last
letter you wrote was
more like a real letter
again. I believe I'll
------ scold you
oftener. But i won't
write such a long
letter today seeing
I'm not mad.

You said you wanted to walk
over sometime, isn't that
quite a trip? Isn't the state
road open at all or can't you
get to it from your place? If you
walk out here and back you
won't be able to work for a week.
Of course if you were a German
you could easily do it but I
didn't think a Swede could
stand that much.
All jokes aside, but I would
be glad to see you but How-
ard you've got to be absolutely
good or it'll be goodbye. I'm
telling you that now because
when you're here I can't.
  Well, I think I had better
close as I have a bunch of
socks to darn yet. Don't you

want to bring your's
over, too?
    goodbye & good luck
    Love from me.


Ever time she mentions something about his letters I wish I could read what he wrote. But now I know how she got him to be more mindful of his behavior.
She always seams to bring up something about German's being better then Swede's. It must have been her thing.
I wonder how many socks she had to darn. Now that's something that very rarely done by anyone these days.

Here a picture from the scrap book:

I know it is hard to read. It as almost to big to fit on the scanner, so here is what it says:

"Those muffled booms which north side residents heard Monday afternoon and night were from Lincoln park, where a channel deepening project has been under way in the Milwaukee river. The blasts widened gaps in the dike which was constructed to allow men to work in one side of the river while the water flowed in the other. It is hoped that the gaps will allow the river to carry off the expected flood waters successfully-- Journal Staff Photo"

Now here are a few random pictures fro you to look at.

No clue who they are or when it was taken.

No idea who this is. it was taken at Neenah, Wis. I think the studio's name was, Denninger.

No idea who they are. But it looks like it could have been taken at Cooper Falls.

And to end this post, here are a few jokes.

Well that's all I have for you this time. The next time you hear from me it will be 2016. It's hard to believe that another year has gone by.
Lifting a glass, Here's to a New Year with many wonderful surprises.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment