Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Mary Kauer: Jan. 17, 1927 Rib lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
How was your weekend? Mine was too short. Plus having to get up two hours earlier on Monday. I survived, barely. The rest of the week will be very busy with Xmas on Friday.
Anyway here is the next letter from Mary:





For those of you that find it hard to read here is what it says:

                  Rib Lake Wis
                  Sunday 11a.m.
Dear Howard:-
   I s'pose you think I
quit you because I did
not write again last
week. But I'm not guilty
as I was pretty busy every
evening. Thursday evening
I wrote a letter to Mary
and told her I wasn't
coming to camp and
then I sewed a barber

apron for John. Friday evening
I worked till 9 o'clock, just think
Pete put in a hot water tank
and a bathtub up here and
gee, it seems nice to have all
the hot water you want. But
oh boy, you should have seen
the mess up here. It looked
a whole lot worse than it
does at home when we're all
there.
And last nite I was to a
party at Moores .Leonard came
to town and got a sleigh
load of kids from here. But
you don't need to feel bad on
account of that. He's got a crush
on Agnes Schneider now. I feel
sorry for his girl in a way

but gee, why doesn't she
tell him to go to hang,
even if she didn't mean
it. Now don't you believe
me when I say that all a
person gets out of being in
love is a heartache?
They didn't have quite as
a big a crowd as they
do on Sundays but we
had a real good time just
the same. But gee, Howard
last nite I did miss you

I guess I'm so used
to quarreling at a
party that it seems
funny not to have any-
one to fight with. But
today I'm glad in a way
that you were not there.
You know why.
Oh say, Mr. Moore said
that he and may want to
go to a dance at Ogema
some Sat. nite and if
the roads are open.

and he said if I would like to
go along I could. So if I let
you know if we come will you
go too? maybe he won't go but
he said May has been giving
him the devil because he did
not take her yet.
Well, this is all the news
I can think of today so goodbye
                     and love from me.

It must have been very exciting to be able to take a nice hot bath whenever she wanted to. We take this kind of thing for granted now a days.
I wonder if they were able to go to a dance in Ogema. I bet they had a lot of fun.
She makes it sound like she and Grandpa argued a lot. Maybe that's one of the reasons they were not really right for one another.

Here are some random pictures for you to look at:

I thought i would show you a winter scene. No idea who this is but he's in charge of a whole lot of bull.

I think this is a picture taken on someones class trip, but I'm not sure.

No idea who they are or when it was taken.

Now since it's Xmas time, here is a Xmas postcard from a faded past.


Hello Howard:
Wishing you a
Merry Christmas.
Hope Santa will be
good to you. Come
over and see me
sometime
   From Inez
Not exactly sure who she is.
Oh well. I guess like her I will wish you all a Merry Christmas.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment