Friday, January 15, 2016

Mary Kauer: Feb. 16, 1927 Rib Lake,Wis.

Dear Friends,
How was your week? Mine was good. Colder then I like but it was good. I am looking forward to the weekend. It has finally slowed down at work where we are working normal hours and no over time. So it will be a nice two day weekend for me.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Mary.



For those that find it hard to read here is what it says:

                    Rib Lake
                    Tuesday eve.
Dear Howard:-
  I won't write a
long letter tonight
as I want to finish
a dress yet that I have
started.
  Thanks for the
Valentines and the letter.
And I'm pretty tired tonite
as I walked town yesterday Monday
morning and then in the

afternoon the depot agent called
up and said there was a telegram
for us that Mrs. Denis in Canada, that's Franks
mother, had died. So I walked
home again in the afternoon be-
cause I thot if ma wanted to
go to her funeral she would
have had to go last nite. But
ma didn't go, she says she would
not get there till Friday evening
and that would be too late.
it's too bad that ma didn't
go to Canada last summer, it's
ten years ago that she saw
her sister last. it isn't good
to for relatives to live so
far apart, is it?
  Well I think I'll close
now with love from M.K.
                              over

Clara is sick today
too so I've got to be
the kids stepmother.
I guess she has just
got a bad cold and
headache I hope she
doesn't get scarlet fever
or something like that.
Just imagine being
quarantined for almost
two months.

Not a real long letter. He sent her a Valentine. Maybe it was something like this one:
 Just one of many old cards I have that could be from that time.

I wonder what the dress looked like when she was done. It looks like she enjoyed sewing. It's something you don't hear a lot people doing very often. I'm not a sewer either. I wish I could be more motivated to do it.
It was sad to hear that someone died. Frank's mother. I wonder how old she was. I wonder if Mary's mother was originally from Canada.
I hope that all Clara had was a bad cold. Back then scarlet fever was something that could happen easily. It must have been hard to be quarantined for two months. That would be very hard for me to do. To be confined inside so long.

Well, here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

There is a possibility that this is Grandpa. But I'm not 100% certain.

Not sure who they are. The picture is, as you can see, not in the best of shape. I did the best I could to make it so the people could be seen a little better. There are four people.

This is Judy Anderson. Could be someones classmate.

As a bonus here is a picture from the scrap book.

This cat and linnet, pets of two murders serving life terms at California's Folsom prison, have
formed a friendship and are shown as they were photographed by the owner of the cat, a Japa-
nese who was convicted of a brutal murder. The whisker pulling is the bird's way of awakening its
pal.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back again for some more faded history.
Stay warm this weekend.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment