Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Mary Kauer: Mar 2, 1927 Rib Lake, Wis

Dear Friends,
How are you? I'm fine. My weekend was very dull quiet compared to what they had to deal with out east. All I can say to them is, it sounds  a lot like a Wisconsin winter that we have sometimes.

Anyway here is the next letter from Mary:


 As always for those of you that find it hard to read here is what it says:

Dear Howard:-
    I don't think I'll mail
this letter till tomorrow after-
noon as I have no stamps here
and I feel too darn bunk to go
out tonite. Gee, I feel tough,
as tho I had been out till
3 o'clock every nite. I've got such
chills and I feel so tired and
achy all over. I guess I ought
to take about a pint of whiskey
then I would be O.K.
   I was home Sunday and
we came home about 1 o'clock
Bob Henget walked to town too
as he and Agnes S. were out home
too.
  Those two fellows from camp
John & Felix were there too.
Gee, John wanted to know if

I'd invite him to the wedding
this summer. Felix said he
t'hot he saw me at show
Sat. nite but he wasn't sure.
I bet if they go to show here again
they will keep a close watch.
Thanks a lot for the candy
Howard. You certainly keep me
well supplied with candy. I guess
you must want me to get fat
so I look like that girl in the
Sarah something. I don't remember
her last name.
I haven't seen Hannah yet since
Sat. I don't know if she was up
town at all.
Say, what do you think Anton
wants to go to somewhere near
Madison to work for the summer
and if he does I think I'll go home
about the middle of May or so.
     So long, love from Me.

Nothing really exciting here. Grandpa sure like to give girls candy. It must have been his way to sweeten them up. I wonder what kind of candy he gave the most.
I wonder what wedding she talked about that was going to happen that summer.
I wonder if Anton went to Madison to look for a job that summer.
Just more history that has faded away never to to known again.

Here is a picture from the scrap book.

This Waupun-Green Bay bus is shown on Highway 151 near Waupun. Its 28 passengers
were sheltered for 36 hours in the farm home of George Taylor- Staff photo by H.W. Nowell.

Back then people opened up their homes to help stranded travelers. I don't think that happened with people who were stranded in this last storm. You just have to ask yourself, Would you welcome strangers into your home at a time like that?


Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

From Sept. 1958. Grandpa is on the left. No idea who is with him.


A winter scene. Maybe it was taken around by the beaver pond. But I could be wrong.

Just another winter scene. Taken by the home place. I'm thinking it's from the late 50's maybe early 60's.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back for some more faded history.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment