Friday, January 8, 2016

Mary Kauer: Feb. 8, 1927 Rib Lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
The first week of a new year is gone. How is 2016 for you so far? Mine, so far is calm. Just the way I like it. But I get a feeling it's going to be a very bumpy year for a number of different reasons.
Oh well, here is the next letter from Mary.




For those that find it hard to read here is what it says:

Dear Howard:-
   Well, I got three letters
from you today. I came
back this morning and
two of them were here already
and Clara brought the other
one at noon. I got the box of
candy you sent, too. Gee, it's
a peach. Clara made me
open the package right away
so she could see what it
was. She certainly t'hot it
was pretty. And believe me
I do too. I guess Elmer was
right when he says you are
so darn good.
  Gee, I hated to come back
this morning. I always feel

so darn blue when I've been
home awhile and then have
to go back to work. My right
foot was swollen just enough
so I couldn't wear my shoes
but now they're all right. I
was certainly lucky not to
have broken it.
I s'pose you are mad that
I didn't write any more last week
but at first I t'hot I'd go back
to town and afterwards I
was waiting for a letter
from you but they didn't
 send them out.
  Say, I guess Albert Ziemke
thot we were on the outs.
At our party he asked me
where you were and yester-
day at Fuchs he asked me
again. But he thot you

were working in the mill
at Rib Lake and I s'pose he
thot it was funny that
you never came out. last
time he asked then I asked
him where Mary Daubert was
and first he said she had
quit him but afterwards he
said no, if she quite me then
I'm thru with girls. he said
one girl quit him about two
years ago and he said that's
about all that girls are good
for is to break a fellows
heart, but he said you
can't break theirs because
they have none. So now

I think you are not the only
one that talks mushy. I guess
when boys are in love they are
all alike.
  You said you see Thompson
pretty often and that they
seem so happy. Does he still
give you good advice about
getting married? if he does
you tell me what it is, will you?
I would like to see them once.
Well, I told Central to call
you about 15 minutes ago and
as you didn't answer yet, I'll go
and go and see if they forgot
it. Or are you gone to bed
already and sound asleep, it's
8 o'clock.
    So long and lots of love
                      from Me.


Boy for her to get three letters in one day from Grandpa is a lot. I know I will never get a hold of anything he wrote to any of these girls. I guess I'll just have to use my imagination when  it comes to what he could have wrote. She does say he is "mushy".
I wonder if poor Albert Ziemke ever found the right girl or if he did quit girls all together.
When she mentions Central, I think she is talking about trying to call on the phone. Just another reason for so many letters to be sent to each other.

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

No idea who these guys are. I wonder if they all found girls that did not break their hearts.

Written on the back, " Enroute to the Landing at railroad."

Changing of the guard by the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Taken during someone class trip.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will drop by for more faded history.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment