Friday, January 29, 2016

Mary Kauer: March 9, 1927 Rib Lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
It's hard to believe it's the end of another week. For me this week just flew by. When I think about it, this whole month went by faster. It's almost the end of January. The first month of the year is almost gone. I wonder if the rest of the year will feel like it's going by so fast. Time will tell.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Mary.




I know the writing does not look like Mary's, but it is. She explains:

                Rib Lake, Wis.
               March 9, 1927
Dear Howard,
  I'm going to answer
your very welcome
letter before I forget.
seeing thats such
an easy thing to do-
(Bug house fable).
  Well I was home
all day Monday, or
rather out at camp.
Lunny place for
kids to go isn't it? Just
the same I enjoyed

the trip even though
I get tired from
walking. Of course we
didn't walk all the way.
cause we were
lucky enough to get a
free ride on the
passenger train
which you know goes
out there in the
woods, and is
rather courteous to
young ladies of our
type. We had a good
time on the train, the
main reason was

the nice brakeman;
who is rather appealing
to young girls, even
if he is a married
man. But then
forbidden fruit
always is best. Ha Ha
There's a party at
Moores Saturday night
and I can't decide
whether to go or not.
I ought to have a
Mamma somewhere
near to give me
advice when
my thoughts get

in such a jungle.
Don't you think my
writing has improved
seen last time. Well
I just noticed it
myself. Maybe its because
I'm taking my time
tonight even though
I am in great haste.
My pencils getting dull
and my paper short
so I'll have to close
  Yours till I'm
sick.    Mary

What did you think of her writing style change? Not sure if she is able to keep it up. Time will tell. I know I got some of the words wrong. As usual some of the words were hard to get right. Either that or I need my eyes checked. But then again after a day at work my eyes are tired. So you will just have to forgive me.
I wonder how many times they got free rides on the passenger train? That kind of train does not exist today around here.I wish it did, but it don't.

Speaking of trains here is a picture from the scrap book about a train.

Shovelers brought from Milwaukee on the relief train cleared away enough snow so that the lo-
comotive of the stalled train could be pulled back to Jackson, giving the rotary snowplow a
chance. This picture, taken from the top of the stalled engine, shows the relief locomotive-- Journal
Staff Photo.

I scanned the picture the best I could. It was on the large side. I don't think it scanned right, but at the top of the picture is the relief engine waiting for the path to be cleared by the shoveler's. Can you imagine people doing that today? Shoveling a path for a train.
I think I need a bigger scanner or maybe I'll have to take a picture of some of the clippings so you can see them maybe better.

Here a few random pictures for you to look at.


No clue who these men are. Looking at their dress, the picture was more then likely taken in the 50's. They almost look like gangsters to me.But I know they are not.

Not sure who is in this picture or when it was taken.

This is Dick Lehman. Someones classmate from 1957

Well that's about all I have to share with you today. I hope you have a good weekend and will come back soon for some more Faded History.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment