Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Mary Kauer: Fed 12, 1927 Rib lake, Wis

Dear Friends,
How was your weekend? Mine was good. On Sunday the husband and I went to the Twin Cities and was a play. "A Gentleman's Guild to Love & Murder". It was very good. The trip there had a small hiccup. The bus we were on had a problem. So at one point we had to turn around and another bus was sent out so we could change. We still made the play with about 15 minutes to spare. I'm not sure how much longer it will be there but I would recommend seeing it.
Well, here is the next letter from Mary.






  Six pages. Here is what it say for those of you who find it hard to read:

Don't get sore at         Rib Lake Wis
what I said about the  Friday 6.30 P.M.
Swedes
Dear Howard:-
   I got your letter
this noon and I
wanted to answer it
right after supper so
you would get it tomorrow
but Mrs. Bushaw was
up here so I played
cards awhile with her.
Did you send me
that candy today so

I should answer right away?
Thanks very much for it. I
couldn't imagine what I got
when Pete told me that there
was a package for me. Or
are you trying to make me
real sweet tempered?
Well, I don't feel as blue
now as I did Monday when I
came. But I don't think Mrs.
Hipke is coming back. She int-
ended to come back with Mr.
Hipke this week but Pete
told Mr. Hipke that he didn't
want her here. Now Mr. H.
must be mad too, because he
didn't write for about two
weeks.
Mrs. Lapham was up here and

she asked me, "When are
you and Howard going
to get married?" I should
have told her I'd get
married just as soon as
you ask me.
You said there was a
German that gets lone-
some for his wife. Well,
that's all right. He should
get lonesome for his wife
and children. That's the
way a real family

should be, but you
see the Swedes get
lonesome for a girl
before they are married
and then afterwards
they get lonesome
for a different girl.
Isn't that what you
told me?
Say, do you remember
what you told me that
Anna Roseen had said about

me? That she liked me and
that I was sweet. That just
made me think that when
they were out home last fall
pa told ma that he liked
Anna lots better than that
other girl of Joe's and that
Joe should try and get Anna
because he thot she was an
awfully nice girl.
Well, that is about all I
know now. Oh say, I forgot to
tell you that the baby cut
her wrist on a broken bottle.
I guess it was the day before
yesterday. The doctor took six
stitches in it. I was up here

alone with the kids and
I was so excited I shook
as tho I was doing the
shimmy. Clara was lots
worse tho than I. The
nurse held the baby's hands
and gave her ether and they
made me hold her feet
while the doctor sewed her
hand. She is wearing a
sling now but she's
real good. So long
and love from M.K.
P.S. You haven't got scarlet fever
have you? You said you didn't feel
                                              good.

Boy that bay she keeps mentioning sure is accident prone. I hope she was able to grow up with not to many scars.Back then the doctor made house calls. And who ever could help helped in anyway that was needed. Talking about stitches my dad just got 11 stitches on his thumb. He was working with his wood splitter.
I wonder if at this point Grandpa was thinking about asking her to marry him or she no matter what he did, kept him guessing will she or won't she.
I wonder what ever happens to Mr. and Mrs. Hipke.
She likes to make it sound like a German would be more faithful then a Swede. I wonder if Grandpa really said that to her or she just put her own spin on it.

Here are a few random pictures for you to look at.

This is Gerda Gustafson. No idea when it was taken.

This is Lois. She must have been someones classmate.

No idea where or when this one was taken. Or who could be on the far right.

Well, this was a long letter. So I guess I'll end it now.
I hope you will drop by again for more Faded History.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment