Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Mary Kauer: Jan. 30, 1927 Rib Lake, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope this post finds you all well. So far things are going just fine for me. No drama, that I know of.
Well, here is the next letter from Mary. She use bigger note book paper and filled three sides.



For those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                                   Rib lake Wis
                                   Sun. 7 P.M.
                                  Jan. 30, 1927
Dear Howard:-
   I don't know whether I'll be able
to write a letter tonite or not as
I'm at home and Mart and teacher
are writing too. Mart is acting so darned
silly I laughed so much that the
tears rolled down my face.
I looked worse than the time you
were up at B. and saw me cry. Mart
is writing to Hank B. as he sent
home a couple of boxes of candy
for her with Joseph and Jos. emptying
the candy and took the boxes along
to camp again. He wants to tell Hank
that someone stole the candy.
I was at a party at Moores last
nite but it's the last time I'm going
to a Sat. nite party, we all swore off
going. There was quite a strange bunch
there last nite nearly all married
folks. Elmer & Lavern were there.

Elmer thot' Rose was me and he always
asked her about you. Then Mart. told
him that that homely girl sitting on
the bed was Howard's girl. Well then
I danced once with Elmer and all he
talked about was how good you
were and that I couldn't possibly get anyone
else that would be as nice. He said,
"He'd do anything for a person: Elmer
certainly thinks you're the best fellow
in Ogema.
 And what do you think I did when
we came home. I Bennie Fucks was
there with a team and small sled and
there were seven of us on it. Teacher & me
Katie & her husband , and Anton, Bennise and
another kid from camp. Well, I hung
my feet down on the side and he went
out of the gate so fast that he struck
the post and I got my feet squeezed between
that and the sled. They hurt so I almost
cried. I t'hot I had broke them. My left
foot just hurts a little but the right

one is swollen and sore. I limp around
here like a real cripple. I don't know
if I'll go to town before Wednesday or
not. I would at least like to get there
by tomorrow(Monday) we as I'm s'pose to
have the sewing circle up there
Wed. eve.
I s'pose you're mad because I
didn't write last week. Well, Wednesday
we ho went to sewing circle and Thurs.
evening I went over to McRaes as Emma
was there taking care of a baby. And
Friday Clara had the aid Ladies
aid and I was working till almost
nine o'clock.
I t'hot I'd call you up today when
I got back but I didn't get back so
I couldn't. Well, I don't now know any-
more news so goodbye for this time
  and lots of good luck & love from
                                                Me

For someone who wasn't going to write much sure wrote a lot. It does sound like she was having a good time. She was either crying because she was laughing of she hurt her feet of for some reason was crying at a party for some unexplained reason.
I wonder what kind of things they sewed at their sewing circle.
I know I spelled a number of the names wrong but they were hard to read what they were, so sorry.


Here are a few random pictures for you to look at:

On the back of this one it says, Front Ed & Johanna Brouncker. No idea who they are.

On clue who she is. But she looks like she is on the grumpy side.

This could be Mary. On the back is written, "Me". And I know she signed her letters that way often.

As a bonus I'll include a picture from the scrap book:

This striking picture, just made available for publication, shows graphically how a train speeding
at 80 miles an hour makes the snow fly when it hits a drift. This was taken in Wisconsin on the
Burlington road's Chicago-Minneapolis run.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you come back soon for more Faded History.
Till next time.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment