Friday, July 15, 2016

Helen Balusik: April 13, 1928 Evanston, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Mine was okay, but it could have been better. Today I didn't have to work. I wanted to, but there was not the right work for me. It sure has been raining a lot here lately. Up north a number of roads have been washed out. Some of these roads will take months before the will be fixed so they can be used again. If I could I would send some of that rain west to California. They could use our extra water and would not turn it away.
Anyway here is the next letter from Helen:



As always, for those that find it hard to read , here is what it says:

                         Evanston, Ill.
                          Apr. 13- 28
Dear Howard:
   Sure was glad to get
such an early reply from
you. But Howard, such a
short letter I was surprised
at you. Because you usually
write such a nice thick
one.
  its one nice rainy day
out tonite I was suppose to
go out but didn't care to
on a nite like this. Would
be different if you were
here, would't it?
   Well just think of it
this girl I said was going to
write to your brother, well
she is very bashful and
she hates to write first to the
men so she said, if he
wanted he could write first
& then she would answer.
  Her name is Margaret
Sullivan and same address
as mine, that is if he
wants to write.

            2.
So you can tell fortunes, oh my,
tell me some of the fortunes
that you tell for yourself does
it ever come out the same
way? You sure have to tell
mine sometimes I know
I'd have a lot of fun listening
to my fortune telling.
   The cook we have here
tells mine sometimes on
cards too and we have so
much fun about it. Sometimes
she'll say you have a letter
coming on some one is
thinking about you and you
know how something like
that thrills a person. Really
if it was true.
    Well tomorrow is
Saturday again wish you
were here with your car
we could go for a spin
wouldn't we Howard- I'd
show you the Michigan
lake how beautiful every
thing looks around it
in the Spring ( this time of the year)

             3.
But, nothing like dear old
Wisconsin in the summer
time, is there?
   Early in the mornings I
can always hear the birds
singing- sure makes me
blue for "home-sweet home'
  Well Howard, seeing you
wrote so little to me I don't
think I better write much
either Maybe you don't like
me too anyway!
Hoping you are fine
and will be looking for
your letter soon.
                Lovingly
                       Helen

I wonder if Thomas ever did write to Margaret Sullivan. I'm not sure if he saved any letters he got from people like Grandpa did. Maybe one of my cousins has them. I know Thomas did keep a kind of diary and one of my cousins does have them.
As for Grandpa's fortune telling. I think he did. I used to have a set of old Tarot cards. I had let my younger sister use them for awhile. I asked for them back and now she can't find them. Maybe someday I will be able to get them back.
Grandpa must have really wrote long letters. If only someday I could see of them I could see what he wrote. Oh well. History that has faded away to the point that I will never be able to see it.

Here are the next two viewer cards from the Childhood Fun set:

 Caught in the Act.
 A Sudden Shower.

In the first one, I wonder what was being sampled by this, I think, little boy.
I like the second one with the older girl is giving the little girl a shower experience.

Here is a random picture for you to look at.

This was taken during someones class trip. Not sure what year.

Well that's all I have to share with you today. Remember, stay dry.
Don't forget to come back again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment