Friday, July 22, 2016

Sigrid Niemela: April 20, 1928 Mt. Iron Minn.

Dear Friends,
Boy what a hot week! I am no fan of hot temps. I hope this next week will be more comfortable. There were a number of places that had storms go through and caused some damage and had no electricity for a while. It got windy here also.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Sigrid:




As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                    Mt. Iron, Minn
                    Apr. 20, 1928
Dear friend Howard,
  Received your letter
yesterday. Thanks a
lot. I'm so glad it
was a nice cheerful
long one too. I just
love them so. Even
if I'm such a poor
one at letter writing
but you mustn't pay
me back with the
same kind, remember.
We're having just
horrid weather again.
Snow, slush and chill.
Wednesday there was
such a storm all
the electric lights even

went out, some poles
had fallen down &
wired broke. I've been
waiting for spring so
anxiously but it looks
like I can wait in
vain.
 I'm glad you think
good of me, and I
hope I can prove
it someday that I
try and be worthy to a
friend like you.
What difference does
it make if you write
to that girl in Ill. &
many more. I cert-
ainly don't care, for
she must have been

           2.
lonesome too, like we,
and wants friends.
 I'll send my greetings
to your birthday now
even if it is late
kind of now. My birth-
day will be May 9. Not
so far off & I'll be a
year older again.
Oh, I live yet quite
a ways from St. Paul &
Minneapolis, so prob-
ably it is too far for
you to venture. Any-
way near to 300 miles
north yet. it's about 65
miles from Duluth even.
I have second cousins

Minneapolis and if
Grandpa gets well. I'll
go there for a visit
this summer. We may
meet someday so lets
not lose hope even
if we live so far
apart.
I have some pictures
to be developed now&
if they come out fair
I'll soon send one.
Must close now &
hike to bed, nearly
eleven already.
                 Sincerely,
                       Sigrid

 He must have told her about the other girls he was writing to. Maybe to see how she would react. I wonder if she replied the way he liked.
I'm not sure if there is a picture of her included in a future letter or not.
It sounds like the weather was being kind of nasty. It was spring in northern Minn. It is much like Wisconsin.
I know I did show you last time where Mt. Iron is located.
I wonder what she did on her birthday?

Oh well, here are the next two viewer cards from The Childhood Fun set:

 A little Shepherdess and Her Flock.
" Now, Victor, Don't You Think It Was Mean."

The little shepherdess is trying to take care of I think 5 sheep.

The little boy talking things over with his dog. I did this kind of thing many times with our animals over the years. I still do. They are the best listeners I know.

Here is a random picture for you to look at:


This is a few of my cousins. I'm not sure what year this was taken.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will be able to stay cool where ever you are.
I hope you will come back real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment