Friday, July 29, 2016

Mary Mattingly: April 26, 1928 Willisburg, Ky.

Dear Friends,
The weekend is here once again. This week started out on the hot side and ended very wet. Why can't things just be more in the middle and not to the extreme? I guess we just have to except that nature has a plan and does not want us to  know what it is.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Mary Mattingly. It was a very hard one to get right. Between sometimes bad spelling and broken English it's been very challenging. So if I get it wrong I'm sorry.


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says. I've done the best I could to get this one right.

          Willisburg Ky April 25
     Mr Howard H Johnson
Dear friend I take the pleasure
in answering your letter I
received yesterday and glad to
get it an now sure glad to get
your picture and will send you
mine as soon as I get them I
sent them off a while ago I
guess I will get them soon
how is the weather with you
By this time it is pretty
good weather here now the trees as
having art and the front trees
are in bloom in my garden is
up and winter is about 5 month
I have three Brothers and
three sisters
I live at farm of 40 acres and
have one horse and one hog

and a bunch of chickens I
enjoy farmers life I like
to raise chickens and work in
garden any kind of work that
I can do one the farm I haven't
any milk cows I did have
to but I had them I miss
one year baring a crafs tending
and didn't any feed for them
I am sorry I did I live a
bout 6 miles from the town
it is a high place have you
any sisters Now you ever in
Springfield I not there afar
I ward too glad to meet you
so I will close for this time
looking to hear from you again
soon Your friend
Mary Mattingly

I did my best to write what I thought she meant. A number of her words are misspelled or maybe a little Swedish.Some words were so bad I was not sure how to fix it so I just wrote what I thought the word was, even if it made no sense.  If I got it wrong, once again, I'm sorry.
It sounds like she lived on a farm and didn't mind doing that kind of work. Being a hard worker is not a bad thing in my book.
It sounds like she came from a big family.

Here are the next two viewer cards in the Childhood Fun set:

 Getting Our Pictures Taken
  Driving to Market.

Having your picture taken with all of your favorite things is always a must have kind of picture.
I wonder how fast a couple of pig could go pulling a wagon with a little girl in it.
I wish I could challenge people to take a picture similar to one of the ones I've shown. I wonder what they could look like.



Here is a random picture for you to look at:
No idea when this was taken. This is the Johnson home place. It looks like in the middle is a newly wed couple. I am not sure who it is but I do have a clue. I'm sure someone, maybe on Facebook will tell me who this is.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a good weekend.
I hope you will drop by again soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment