Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Helen Balusik: April, 24, 1928 Evanston Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was good. No drama, as usual. it was a humid one.
Here is the next letter from Helen, it four pages long:




As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                    Evanston, Ill.
                      Apr. 24-28
Dear Howard:
   I hope you haven't given
up looking for my letter or
have you?
  I have been so busy lately
I didn't get any letters written
whatever-
  Today I went to Chicago
had to get my guitar fixed it
cracked a little so I went to a
big music store & there I run
into the record department
so I made myself at home.
I was looking for some good
records so I played all I wanted
& finally picked out three to
send home- "My Blue Heaven"
is a late one & it sure is
pretty- So I hope the folks at
home like the ones I send.
  I came back from the
city found a letter from home
it sure did thrill me.
Really Howard, I wish you
wouldn't call me such sweet

names in your letters maybe
you won't think I'm sweet
when you see me- see Howard?
You will think just the opposite
I bet.
No, I never read the joke
"His, fatal mistake but if it
isn't a nice clean joke please
do not send it to me.
  You bet next Summer
we will have to have a
game of horse-shoe together
can you play it. It is very
easy and you can have
so much fun especially
when couples play. Every
Summer in the evenings we
play it so much at our
place. Sometimes have the
phonograph going at the
same time- But I suppose
you do not know many of
the boys around there, do you?
Do you think you know my
brother Pete? he is quite
popular around Phillips
seems everybody knows him

                 2.
Tonight is a concert near
here again so I am going
as long as it is walking
distance.
  No Howard, I don't think
I would get so homesick that I
would have to come home
it use to be years ago when
I first came here but now
I almost like city better altho
I like to come home for a
vacation every Summer But
still you never can tell
about the girls can you?
Last year I was back in
the city at the time the fair
was going on in Phillips.
Too bad I didn't go maybe
someone would have
introduced me to you
Oh well, we will meet
some day, won't we Howard?
  My birthday is gone by
already so I'm not twenty-two
any more it was last month
one day.

Well Howard, I am wondering
what you are doing just
now I suppose cooking supper
because its five o'clock
now- I sure would like to
walk in some of these nice
days & see you step around
that stove see what a good
cook you are-- Ha Ha I
bet you can beat me
any day-
  I will have to say goodbye
& hope you forgive me for
not writing sooner- Oh I
know you will
    Will be looking for an
      answer soon.
               Lovingly
           Your new friend
               Helen

A nice long letter.
Lets see... Grandpa must have called girls by kind of sweet sounding names. I wonder what he tried to call her. I wonder if he tried to be a kind of Romeo or Casanova. Tried to woo and flatter them. Boy I do wish I could have known that part of him. I wonder what I would have thought of him.
He must have sent her a kind of joke she thought was offensive.
It sounds like she was still playing the guitar. I wonder how she cracked it.
https://youtu.be/5w-_xbBmXJ4
I think the song is one I have heard before. Here is a link to it.It was sang by Gene Austin in 1927.

I wonder if she made it back home that summer.
I wonder if Grandpa was a good cook. I don't know if I ever saw him cook when I was growing up.

Here are the next two viewer cards from The Childhood Fun set:


 "See My Kittens."
The Kindergarten Class.

A cute scene with a little girl and her kittens.
A bushel of puppies anyone? I wonder how long it took to get a good picture of the puppies in that basket.

Here is a random picture for you to look at:


This is Gary Berg. No idea exactly who he was or how old he was in this picture.

Well, that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then, stay cool.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment